LR97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey I was wondering if anyone who had done the subject or is doing it now could give me some advice on how to structure the essay? Are you supposed to do it theme per paragraph or in chronological order of the events that happen in the book?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
ImogenDowning1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am doing AH English this year and it tends to depend highly on the question, but as a general rule it is better to approach it thematically than chronologically.
WeeTubaGirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I usually approach the questions as chronologically as possible; in my opinion, this allows you to develop the themes and the message of your essay with the author. Concentrate on the themes, but follow them chronologically, if that makes sense.
LR97
Rep:
?
(Original post by ImogenDowning1)
I am doing AH English this year and it tends to depend highly on the question, but as a general rule it is better to approach it thematically than chronologically.
Thanks! I thought it might be that I've tried it both ways but the course is just so hard!! What texts are you doing for the exam and are you doing the textual analysis?
ImogenDowning1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LR97)
Thanks! I thought it might be that I've tried it both ways but the course is just so hard!! What texts are you doing for the exam and are you doing the textual analysis?
I know what you mean - i am doing Antony and Cleopatra and Othello (Shakespeare) and i did creative writing so no textual analysis.
steph25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know this is so last minute but have any of you done creative writing? if so, can you please help me with ideas for a play?! im desperate!
LR97
Rep:
?
That's lucky our teacher wouldn't let us do the creative writing folio!
LR97
Rep:
?
(Original post by steph25)
I know this is so last minute but have any of you done creative writing? if so, can you please help me with ideas for a play?! im desperate!
Sorry I'm doing the textual analysis. Is anyone doing Thomas Hardy for the exam??
steph25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing Shakespeare - Antony and Cleopatra and Othello. Anyone else?
eden_enchanted
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is anybody doing Plath or Williams???
steph25
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lol I'm the same but I prefer antony and cleopatra! We took the risk of only learning Shakespeare so if we don't get a good question for that we're screwed!
ImogenDowning1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same but I didn't think it was too bad
WeeTubaGirl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Antony and Cleopatra and Othello too (along with Keats, but I just kinda ignored him) and I thought the question was pretty good! I was terrified it was going to be a question on minor characters, so I was very happy to discover that it wasn't How did you all find it?
Charlottemar98
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We studied Wilde and Hardy (although none of us really bothered with Hardy) and although the Wilde question seemed daunting to start with (it mentioned epigrams and we all thought it was asking us entirely about epigrams,) upon further inspection we realised it was asking us about the dandy characters which was an absolutely amazing question!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (28)
13.33%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.29%
I need help with my personal statement (88)
41.9%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.76%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.43%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed