This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi. I just stumbled across this and I was wandering if anyone here could help with my coursework. I'm choosing to repaet Levinger and Clark's investigation on repression in 1961 but I can't find anything about how they did it apart from VERY brief summaries. Does ne1 here know anything about it. Like the method they used?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello, I'm also replicating that study for my coursework, here's some research I found:
They investigated the effects of emotionally-charged words on recall under laboratory conditions, comparing neutral words with negatively-charged ones. Participants were asked to give associations for a list of 60 words, some having neutral meanings such as "tree" and some having high negative emotional content such as "fear". The time taken to produce a response was measured and also the participant's galvanic skin response (GSR) for each word was recorded, the more sweaty they became indicated increased arousal of the autonomic nervous system. Immediately after the first task of producing associations the participants were given the cue words again to try and recall their associations. It was found that responses were slower for the negatively-charged words and these words also produced a higher GSR. Also, participants had more difficulty recalling the negative emotionally-charged associations. They concluded that the greater difficulty in the recall of negative emotionally-charged words compared to neutral words was explained to repression and this supported Freud's concept of repressed memoriesng that experiment too and I've found loads of research. IV = emotional charge of the word, DV = Speed of recall.

Other supporting research comes from:
Freud
Myers and Brewin (1994)
Herman and Schatzan (1987)
Kaminer and Lavie (1991)
Taylor and Kopelman (1984)
Dissociative Amnesia

Opposition to repression comes from:
Parkin et al (1982)
Eysenck and Wilson (1973)

Useful Websites (Using Google Search-engine):
www.memorylossonline.com
www.merk.com
www.psychnet-uk.com
www.asdreams.org
www.bps.org.uk

I hope this information is useful,

S x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi. I just stumbled across this and I was wandering if anyone here could help with my coursework. I'm choosing to repaet Levinger and Clark's investigation on repression in 1961 but I can't find anything about how they did it apart from VERY brief summaries. Does ne1 here know anything about it. Like the method they used?
Have you tried the book Gross?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads