Whizbox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently in year 12 at school and have to make the decision on which subject to drop going into year 13. At the moment, I'm pretty firm on taking 4 A2s as I enjoy all my subjects and am doing well in them all. My worry is that at some point next year I may feel like I am struggling with 4 A2s and may need to drop one midway through the year to take off some pressure.

I was wondering if I applied with 4 predicted A2 results and received offers of only 3 grades would it matter if I were to drop the 4th? Also, do medical schools give out offers for 4 A-Levels if applying with them?
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Whizbox)
I'm currently in year 12 at school and have to make the decision on which subject to drop going into year 13. At the moment, I'm pretty firm on taking 4 A2s as I enjoy all my subjects and am doing well in them all. My worry is that at some point next year I may feel like I am struggling with 4 A2s and may need to drop one midway through the year to take off some pressure.

I was wondering if I applied with 4 predicted A2 results and received offers of only 3 grades would it matter if I were to drop the 4th? Also, do medical schools give out offers for 4 A-Levels if applying with them?
Most won't have expected you to take 4 A2 levels and the standard offer is only 3 grades anway

Posted from TSR Mobile
QuidditchFan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Some might give out offers for 4 A levels, but I've mostly heard ones like AAAE or something like that. However, once you put it on your UCAS form, some medical schools won't allow you to drop an A2 subject once you've had an offer so do make your decision carefully now. Don't go into Year 13 thinking "I can drop a subject after getting an offer if I want to" because that might not be allowed to happen.

Carry on with all 4 if you enjoy them and think you'll be fine realistically - you might change your mind after results day but keep an open mind. Year 13's not that bad with 4 subjects as long as you are organised!
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest wait till results day and then decide. Even after then you have the kind of 'trial' period when you can drop the 4th one.

Doing 4 A2s is a lot of work and I know you won't believe me until you see for yourself but A2 is a lot harder than AS. I'd only say do 4 A2s if you want to apply to do medicine at Oxbridge/London unis but apart from that I think it's not that great a use of time tbh.

What subjects are you doing anyway? If it's 2 sciences and 2 non-sciences it would be easier than doing 4 sciences in my opinion...
Whizbox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by WishIHadRevised)
To be honest wait till results day and then decide. Even after then you have the kind of 'trial' period when you can drop the 4th one.

Doing 4 A2s is a lot of work and I know you won't believe me until you see for yourself but A2 is a lot harder than AS. I'd only say do 4 A2s if you want to apply to do medicine at Oxbridge/London unis but apart from that I think it's not that great a use of time tbh.

What subjects are you doing anyway? If it's 2 sciences and 2 non-sciences it would be easier than doing 4 sciences in my opinion...
I'm doing 3 sciences and maths, the problem comes though that I really love physics and I have won my school's physics prize 3 years in a row so I really want to take that to A2, I also like maths and since maths and physics complement each other really well I think it's worth keeping both on if you're keeping them on at all. The other two subjects, biology and chemistry are both useful in getting into medical school, I obviously can't drop chemistry and if I drop biology I limit the number of medical schools I can apply for. It really is a dilemma. I think if I were to drop one it would have to be biology but I will have to wait and see, thanks.
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing 3 sciences and maths, the problem comes though that I really love physics and I have won my school's physics prize 3 years in a row so I really want to take that to A2, I also like maths and since maths and physics complement each other really well I think it's worth keeping both on if you're keeping them on at all. The other two subjects, biology and chemistry are both useful in getting into medical school, I obviously can't drop chemistry and if I drop biology I limit the number of medical schools I can apply for. It really is a dilemma. I think if I were to drop one it would have to be biology but I will have to wait and see, thanks.
Oh now I understand what you mean. I know this isn't relevant but if you're so good at physics why not do that? #jealous

But yeah the only reason I said wait until results day was because I thought I was going to get 5As and I ended up with AAABC so I dropped two whereas before I had this crazy idea of doing 5 A2s haha. Basically what I'm saying is anything can happen on results day so maybe have an idea of what you would drop and then go from there on results day. 4 A2s isn't impossible and you sound quite smart so maybe you can 100% do it it's just it's a lot more work for not that much gain. Having said that I think Oxbridge/London unis really prefer 4 A2s.
Knugs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I was doing 5 A levels, received an offer for AAAC so I immediately dropped my worst subject.
I had space to work in. Didnt study for my physics to focus on the rest. Got a D in my alst exam ,averages onto B but received AAA in the others. Offer met

The luxury of having many Alevel subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads