Distance learning A-Levels - study & revision journal

Watch
The Nightingale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm a distance learner studying my A-Levels via NEC. I already have an A* in English literature, but need 2 As to get into my first choice university (Bristol or UCL) and panic mode is beginning to set in a wee bit, so I thought it might be useful to journal my progress on here. There are lots of pitfalls and rewards to distance learning, so I thought this might also be useful for people who are considering it in the future.

I'm studying an A-level in Politics (doing the whole thing in one year) & an A2 in Philosophy. Panic mode is definitely beginning to set in as I have six essays left and want them all done by the beginning of April so I can dedicate myself to pure revision/past papers until my exams begin on June 1st.

Today I'm working on Government & Politics AS Assignment 4 - the Constitution & Constitutional Reform. Hoping to have it in the bag today, although I am heading out at 7:45 to meet friends, so we shall see (balancing social life with studying is a difficulty as I'm sure you'll discover from this journal.) I'm going to try and write something every day to keep myself accountable.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
MouseyBrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Nightingale)
Hi all,

I'm a distance learner studying my A-Levels via NEC. I already have an A* in English literature, but need 2 As to get into my first choice university (Bristol or UCL) and panic mode is beginning to set in a wee bit, so I thought it might be useful to journal my progress on here. There are lots of pitfalls and rewards to distance learning, so I thought this might also be useful for people who are considering it in the future.

I'm studying an A-level in Politics (doing the whole thing in one year) & an A2 in Philosophy. Panic mode is definitely beginning to set in as I have six essays left and want them all done by the beginning of April so I can dedicate myself to pure revision/past papers until my exams begin on June 1st.

Today I'm working on Government & Politics AS Assignment 4 - the Constitution & Constitutional Reform. Hoping to have it in the bag today, although I am heading out at 7:45 to meet friends, so we shall see (balancing social life with studying is a difficulty as I'm sure you'll discover from this journal.) I'm going to try and write something every day to keep myself accountable.
I'm doing something pretty similar: sitting AS exams in G&P, History, Economics and English Lit this summer. Though I already worked through the NEC course materials last year, and I'm just getting my revision notes together to start past papers.

It's pretty handy that the Politics exams aren't until June! Did you do Lit with AQA? If so, which option?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi all,

Hey How are things going for you? How was your Gov and Politics assignment in the end?
The Nightingale
Rep:
?
(Original post by MouseyBrown)
I'm doing something pretty similar: sitting AS exams in G&P, History, Economics and English Lit this summer. Though I already worked through the NEC course materials last year, and I'm just getting my revision notes together to start past papers.

It's pretty handy that the Politics exams aren't until June! Did you do Lit with AQA? If so, which option?
Ooh, I wish I was ready to start revision. Still so much to do but going to start light revision soon.

I did do lit with AQA - option B at AS (WW1 literature) and did 'Love Through the Ages' for A2. I managed to get 100% in my English A2 components in spite of thinking I'd done horribly in the exam. This year I'm dreading Philosophy to be honest, though I'm pleased I have till June.

Submitted my Politics Assignment yesterday - 4 to go now! I'm working on reading Mill's on Liberty today for Philosophy.
MouseyBrown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ooh, I wish I was ready to start revision. Still so much to do but going to start light revision soon.

I did do lit with AQA - option B at AS (WW1 literature) and did 'Love Through the Ages' for A2. I managed to get 100% in my English A2 components in spite of thinking I'd done horribly in the exam. This year I'm dreading Philosophy to be honest, though I'm pleased I have till June.

Submitted my Politics Assignment yesterday - 4 to go now! I'm working on reading Mill's on Liberty today for Philosophy.
Sorry to hijack your journal....but can you just clarify something for me? I'm using The Oxford Book of War Poetry as my anthology for question B. Is it fine to reference any poem from that in my contextual linking question (as long as I don't use the same poem for each question), as well as the drama and novel I used for my unit two coursework?
I have been told that's fine, but it sounds a bit weird to be able to use the anthology for the contextual question, as its kind of a 'closed book' question. What did you do?
The Nightingale
Rep:
?
Sorry to hijack your journal....but can you just clarify something for me? I'm using The Oxford Book of War Poetry as my anthology for question B. Is it fine to reference any poem from that in my contextual linking question (as long as I don't use the same poem for each question), as well as the drama and novel I used for my unit two coursework?
I have been told that's fine, but it sounds a bit weird to be able to use the anthology for the contextual question, as its kind of a 'closed book' question. What did you do?
I used a poem from the anthology in question B and excerpts from Strange Meeting and Journey's End - iirc you can take the anthology in with you, can't you?
MouseyBrown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used a poem from the anthology in question B and excerpts from Strange Meeting and Journey's End - iirc you can take the anthology in with you, can't you?
Yeah you can take it in.........you mean you used them for question A, the contextual question?

If so, that's good. I'm reading around so I have two or three of each genre to refer to if need be, but I already know Oxford Book, Journey's End and Strange Meeting well from the rest of the course.
The Nightingale
Rep:
?
Yeah you can take it in.........you mean you used them for question A, the contextual question?

If so, that's good. I'm reading around so I have two or three of each genre to refer to if need be, but I already know Oxford Book, Journey's End and Strange Meeting well from the rest of the course.
Oops, yeah, getting confused. It's been nearly 2 years It was question A. I read 'Birdsong', another poetry book and another play as additional reading, but I ended up only using my poetry anthology and coursework texts. I was worried it would affect my grade, but I still got over 90% in the AS, so obviously having loads of extra reading wasn't a problem as long as you know your set texts well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (162)
44.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (41)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.34%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.04%

Watched Threads