The Student Room Group

BTEC exams & results - students tell us everything :)

Hello you guys :wavey:

We are always looking for new helpful ways to support students :h: We do a lot for A-level and GCSE but we don't know a huge amount about BTEC.

Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results?

Do all of your courses have exams or are some of them only project/coursework based?

Are you doing a mix of BTEC and A-levels? Are you applying to uni?

By the way the official 2015 uni offers for BTEC students is here

Is there anything TSR could do better to help you? Let us know :cyber:

Looking forward to hearing from you :smile:

She-Ra

:party:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:unimpressed: Over 100 views but no responses.... Can anyone help? :cookie:
Reply 2
Hey its Sandra Here,
The BTEC course I do is BTEC level 3 Applied Science

Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results?Well I do not do any exams,the BTEC course is purely coursework based.I get my results the same time as A level people do.

Do all of your courses have exams or are some of them only project/coursework based?
Its Only Coursework based

Are you doing a mix of BTEC and A-levels? Are you applying to uni?I'm just doing BTEC and yes im applying to uni.
im starting a level 3 extended deploma in photography - i dont mind you asking me questions about how i got into the course and stuff - i have a conditional offer.
Original post by Sandra1
Hey its Sandra Here,
The BTEC course I do is BTEC level 3 Applied Science

Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results?Well I do not do any exams,the BTEC course is purely coursework based.I get my results the same time as A level people do.

Its Only Coursework based

Are you doing a mix of BTEC and A-levels? Are you applying to uni?I'm just doing BTEC and yes im applying to uni.

I literally know nothing about BTEC is one the equivalent of three A-levels?

Awesome that's really helpful - what are you planning on studying at uni? Do you mind me asking where you've applied too?

Are you finding TSR helpful with your studies? Are using for applying to uni stuff?

Original post by guitaristemily
im starting a level 3 extended deploma in photography - i dont mind you asking me questions about how i got into the course and stuff - i have a conditional offer.

Awesome, so is that a conditional offer for uni or for the diploma in photography?
Original post by She-Ra

Awesome, so is that a conditional offer for uni or for the diploma in photography?

For the photography course btec.
Original post by She-Ra
:unimpressed: Over 100 views but no responses.... Can anyone help? :cookie:

We usually have our results on a module basis.. Depends on how lenient the lteacher is.. If they're lenient.. You won't know for certain until June/July.

As for something.. How about a sticky thread for a guide on calculating results.. The amount of threads people asking about their grade is pretty high :fuhrer:
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
I literally know nothing about BTEC is one the equivalent of three A-levels?

Awesome that's really helpful - what are you planning on studying at uni? Do you mind me asking where you've applied too?

Are you finding TSR helpful with your studies? Are using for applying to uni stuff?

Not really helpful to my studies but helpful for uni stuff.

I applied to radiography at uni.I applied to LSB,portsmouth,BCU,UWE and Suffolk.
Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results?
There are currently no exams in the BTEC qualification, however I have heard that they're going to bring them in. Obviously, these could be rumours. I'm pretty sure that we actually get our results before the A Level people do. Start to mid July I believe. This might be dependent on whether the college will release before or on A Level results day though.

100% coursework. However, in my course (L3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science) we did have a maths test as an assignment.

I'm currently only doing the BTEC. I do hope to take up AS Biology alongside in my second year. As I am a first year, I'm not applying for uni at the moment, I do hope to apply for a mixture of zoology and biology though at Bangor, Essex, Reading, and I haven't decided on the rest yet

Is there anything TSR could do better to help you
Maybe have a page providing links to useful websites? I found that chemguide, biologymad, and hyperphysics are very useful websites and wish I could have found out about them sooner in my course. Also, maybe a page helping students decide between A Levels and a BTEC? Unsure if these pages have already been done though :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by urbanforestry
There are currently no exams in the BTEC qualification, however I have heard that they're going to bring them in. Obviously, these could be rumours. I'm pretty sure that we actually get our results before the A Level people do. Start to mid July I believe. This might be dependent on whether the college will release before or on A Level results day though.
:biggrin:

I had an exam in my BTEC in 2013
Original post by yt7777

Depends which btec course you did
Reply 11
Original post by Sandra1
Depends which btec course you did

BTEC level 3 Extended, IT
Original post by yt7777

Oh, scrap what I said then :tongue: there aren't in my BTEC which is Applied Science :smile:
I am currently doing Level 3 ND Art & Design!

Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results? No exams here! You get 3 assesments during the entire course. I am getting my grades around the beginning of June.

Do all of your courses have exams or are some of them only project/coursework based? ND Art & Design is based on projects, which you usually submit for assesment two at a time.

Are you doing a mix of BTEC and A-levels? Are you applying to uni? Just BTEC. Applied to uni, but got rejected.

Hope that helps at least a bit!
Original post by She-Ra
x

Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results? Do all of your courses have exams or are some of them only project/coursework based?
No exams for me - all coursework! However I think we get our results at the same time as A-level results (?). EDIT: Oops, meant to say no exams for the BTEC part only - I do have exams for my AS levels.

I'm doing a mix - currently 2 ASs and a Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Production Arts (Events Management). I'm looking into both unis and conservatoires/colleges etc for theatre tech stuff (mainly Props, Set, and Stage Management at the minute).

Is there anything TSR could do better to help you?
It could be useful to have sections/stickied threads for the different types of courses so people can find others on their course more easily and are encouraged to use the BTEC section more in general - e.g. sections for IT, Applied Science, Engineering, Art & Design, Performing Arts, etc.
And also as Binary Freak already said, a master thread/section/sticky for calculating results would be awesome instead of having lots of people ask in individual threads. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you exams spread across the year or in the summer? When you do get your results?I have two exams (for AS psychology, my only AS level). A week apart. I believe i get my BTEC results the same day as As level results however i do get feedback in class after completion of units.

Only my AS has exams. My two btecs, Law and IT currently do not involve exams, apparently they were dropped the year before i started college. I do a lot of coursework - practically a new assignment due every friday.
Well yeah, currently only one AS but two Btecs, doing an EPQ next year. I will be hoping to do Psychology at uni so will be applying.
I dont see anything wrong with BTEC other than its a heavy workload.

Is there anything TSR could do better to help you? Let us know
Maybe have thread relating to A level equivalents (Btecs etc) so people doing BTECs wont freak out when seeing Unis offering A level entry requirements.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I've done BTEC and going on GCSE/A-Level pathway now but this was my experience..

BTEC
- Mainly all coursework, the teacher babysits the idiots and for more able students (wasn't many) got guided.
- Exams on them no one cared about them and just did them and got whatever.
- I asked the teacher, if we was doing GCSE Public Services what would we get from a Merit in reality? He said " Hmm maybe a D/C, and thats if you even remember what you've been taught in GCSE " I then asked him about L3 Public Service he said E.

And they all went for apprenticeships not university.
Just completed first year of a BTEC level 3 in ITC which was all course and college based work and already been told by my tutor I've gotten overall Distinction which would be equivalent to an A grade. I've also just done exams for AS level in Geography and Sociology and expecting to get D's which overall l will be happy with. I'm thinking of asking if I can add another BTEC possibly in law or Business studies although not 100% sure this is viable.
I would like to go to university but concerned I won't have enough points without doing an extra course.
I've finished my Level 3 Extended Diploma in Horse Manegment at college :smile:

I had two exams over the last two years but they were optunal to get more qualifications. These what I did:
Transporting Horses by Road on Short Journeys - Did 1 theory exam for this (passed)
Safe use and administer of Animal Medicine - Did 1 theory and 1 practical exam (passed)

I've just got my certificates today through the post :smile: DDM!

All of my work for Coursework and though Practical assessment.

Just BTEC :smile: and Yes I've got a conditional offer to Aberystwyth Uni for a fondation degree in equine studies :smile:
Just finished my Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services achieving what should be confirmed soon as D*D*D*... Basically the equivalent of A*A*A* but before all the A-Level students jump down my throat, IT IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN A* WORK!!!!!!! I KNOW THIS!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest