Conscience clause law - discrimination of LGBT on grounds of 'morality'?

Watch
Danboat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.u.tv/News/2015/02/24/Bish...e-clause-32295

A lot of controversy here in NI over this bill. Thoughts?
crozibear96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in Northern Ireland and I have never been more ashamed to live here. Thank bloody goodness I won't be here come September.
Prince of Mind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The story in a nutshell "we are oppressing the religious by not letting them oppress others. This is a real problem because discrimination is a good thing".
Really depressing to see countries moving backwards.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They can't possibly pass such an appaling law.
galaxica
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They have a risible morality.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Prince of Mind)
The story in a nutshell "we are oppressing the religious by not letting them oppress others. This is a real problem because discrimination is a good thing".
Really depressing to see countries moving backwards.

Freedom to choose whom to (and whom not to) associate with is not oppression.
No one has the right to demand service of another people unless they wish to.
This does mean people can discriminate against others on the basis of race, religion, sexuality and belief.

Discrimination is never always a bad thing, as we discriminate all the time in life. (Favouring your friends rather than strangers is a form of discrimination.)

I doubt many would complain if a black man refused to serve a white nationalist . However, everyone (except those who believe in free association) would defend the reverse. Of course, I personally view the former as right and the latter as wrong but I cannot impose restrictions on the white nationalist not matter how horrible his opinions are. I would refuse to associate with himself myself.

The state should not be the judge of what level of discrimination should be allowed. We can refuse to associate with racists and bigots ourselves.
Mr. Woo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Abortion and homosexuality = genocide
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Woo)
I'd be interested to hear your reasoning!
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's an absolutely shameful proposal, though from what I hear about it it's unpopular and unlikely to pass. But that it even gets proposed in a western democracy in this day and age is disgusting.

I get sick and tired of stupid religious bigots trying to portray themselves as the victims because they are not free to impose their bigotry on others. That's basically what's going on here.

(Original post by Skip_Snip)
He has none, so don't bother asking.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course this is happening in Northern Ireland. It'll be a while yet before thei attitudes truly start to change.
It seems that discrimination is ok according to some based on their religious beliefs. Religious beliefs is where it stops being bigoted discrimination and becomes something protected and untouchable. It's a shame more people can't see the fault in that.
Sinn Fein are trying to block it which is something. Sinn Fein themselves are still a bunch of *****.

(Original post by Mr. Woo)
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
If you're waiting for something intelligent, don't hold your breath.
Danboat
Rep:
?
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
Sinn Fein are trying to block it which is something. Sinn Fein themselves are still a bunch of *****.
I have it pegged as a PR stunt. Old backwards scum will always be old, backwards scum unfortunately.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I suppose this is only to be expected from a still fundamentally Catholic country. It would be very disappointing to see this pass through though, as it's essentially giving people a free pass to discriminate against LGBT people.

The bishop interviewed in this article said 'Our laws as they stand are having an unjust and disproportionate impact on those of religious faith.' I'm not sure how that can be true in a Catholic country. :rolleyes: I just don't understand how a supposedly 'loving' religion like Christianity can have so many followers who want to actively discriminate against minorities like the LGBT community.
jakeel1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We should invade it with Ireland and assimilate it. I know its part of the UK but it's not really is it.
Danboat
Rep:
?
(Original post by jakeel1)
We should invade it with Ireland and assimilate it. I know its part of the UK but it's not really is it.
I'd rather not have a blasphemy law, aswell.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jakeel1)
Invade Ireland? Now there's a fresh idea.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I suppose one reason to oppose this law is that is unfair law if it does allow more groups to discriminate.

Of course religious people should be able to refuse to serve homosexuals on their own property. However, homosexuals and non religious people must be able to refuse religious people as well.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
Of course religious people should be able to refuse to serve homosexuals on their own property. However, homosexuals and non religious people must be able to refuse religious people as well.
No they shouldn't. If they run a business they are opening their property up to the public and they should not discriminate. You cannot discriminate against people for certain characteristics - I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but sexuality and religion are included. If they don't like that then they shouldn't run a business, simple.

We should not legalise discrimination against gay people because of someone's "religious beliefs". We must not pander to stupidity, it only legitimises it and encourages it.
Falcatas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
No they shouldn't. If they run a business they are opening their property up to the public and they should not discriminate. You cannot discriminate against people for certain characteristics - I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but sexuality and religion are included. If they don't like that then they shouldn't run a business, simple.

We should not legalise discrimination against gay people because of someone's "religious beliefs". We must not pander to stupidity, it only legitimises it and encourages it.
There is nothing special about opening a business. It is still your property so you should be able to choose whomever you wish to sell (or not to sell to).
There is no positive obligation to sell to people just because they are willing customers.

Otherwise you force people against their will to serve people on their own property. We do not need to the state to beat bigotry. People can freely refuse to associate with bigots without state interference.
In fact you put yourself at an economic disadvantage by discrimination of such basis.
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If God was so bothered about homosexuality and thought Catholics should discriminate against them, then surely it would be in the 10 commandments. Don't see how this law is even being proposed.
DarkMagic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
If God was so bothered about homosexuality and thought Catholics should discriminate against them, then surely it would be in the 10 commandments. Don't see how this law is even being proposed.
It's actually the DUP that are proposing this. The DUP are very definitely not Catholic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (128)
29.7%
No (303)
70.3%

Watched Threads