The Student Room Group

5 A Levels

Had my college interview yesterday and I'm really undecided about what A Levels I should take because I have so much choice. Would taking 5 A Levels be putting too much pressure on myself???

Scroll to see replies

It would quite so much PRESSURE to put on yourself like i'm taking 3 A-levels and enough time to study everything, however, if u're taking some easy ones like religion, critical thinking...etc it wouldn't be as pressure if u're takinh science subjects!
Some people can manage, some can't. You don't really need 5 A-Levels. Most universities are favourable of 4 AS levels. It's unnecessary stress!
Reply 3
I take 2 languages, history and maths, and I manage to get all my work done but whenever there's assessments to be done I get really stressed but the workload is huge. It depends on which subjects you'd take, how intelligent you are and how much time you can put aside to do the work.
Reply 4
I don't really do much outside of school so I'd have time to dedicate to the subjects... I want to take Biology, Chemistry, English Combined and French but Law looks really appealing to me x
Reply 5
Original post by 123chloe321
I don't really do much outside of school so I'd have time to dedicate to the subjects... I want to take Biology, Chemistry, English Combined and French but Law looks really appealing to me x

Do you know what you want to do after a levels?
Reply 6
Original post by CH :)
Do you know what you want to do after a levels?

I'm not 100%.. I'm quite interested in either going into Medicine or Law x

Do you know what do you want to study in Uni like u're taking different subjects with a bit of correlation?
Some can handle it, some can't. One of my friends took 5 and got all A's, but everyone is different. Only you can know if you can deal with the pressure but taking that many A-levels is unnecessary, even to get into the best unis so I don't advise you do it.
Reply 9
Original post by PlayerBB
Do you know what do you want to study in Uni like u're taking different subjects with a bit of correlation?

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do so I'm trying to keep my options open... Interested in either going into Law or Medicine x
Reply 10
I'm not 100% sure what I want to do so I'm trying to keep my options open... Interested in either going into Law or Medicine x

I asked because I also want to do law at university, and I heard that many don't like you taking law as I was considering law a level. There are a few universities that don't like it but most are fine with it (I emailed about 50 haha). I think that you should stick to 4 for now, and see what you get in August. What are you predicted for gcse? X
Reply 11
I asked because I also want to do law at university, and I heard that many don't like you taking law as I was considering law a level. There are a few universities that don't like it but most are fine with it (I emailed about 50 haha). I think that you should stick to 4 for now, and see what you get in August. What are you predicted for gcse? X

I'm predicted to get all A's and A*'s x
Reply 12
I'm predicted to get all A's and A*'s x

I really think apply for 4. I think it always looks better if someone gets 4 a's at as than if they get a few bs and maybe 1 a because they did 5. Also, one of my friends in the year above got 4 a' sat AS and has kept all 4 on for the second year, and also picked up an extra AS. So they'll end up with 4 A levels and1 as x
Reply 13
I really think apply for 4. I think it always looks better if someone gets 4 a's at as than if they get a few bs and maybe 1 a because they did 5. Also, one of my friends in the year above got 4 a' sat AS and has kept all 4 on for the second year, and also picked up an extra AS. So they'll end up with 4 A levels and1 as x

That's good, what a levels had you took if you're interested in Law x
I did/am doing 5 and it's fine. Make sure they're subjects you enjoy.
Reply 15
Original post by morgan8002
I did/am doing 5 and it's fine. Make sure they're subjects you enjoy.

What 5 subjects are you doing x
What 5 subjects are you doing x

Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics.
Reply 17
Original post by morgan8002
Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics.

Think I may take 5 and then drop one at the end of the first year and just keep the AS. Thanks.
I take five AS levels (French, History, English Lit, Philosophy and Religious Studies) and it's certainly a good deal of effort. I do five lessons of each except for RS, where I only do two per week. I feel like I'm managing decently; it just depends on your mindset.
Reply 19
Original post by antisansculotte
I take five AS levels (French, History, English Lit, Philosophy and Religious Studies) and it's certainly a good deal of effort. I do five lessons of each except for RS, where I only do two per week. I feel like I'm managing decently; it just depends on your mindset.

Is French A Levels a really big jump from GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest