English Literature GCSE- I'm doomed!

Watch
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My exam board is AQA, and the two texts I am studying are 'An Inspector Calls' and 'Of Mice and Men'.

Here's the problem.

I have no idea how to answer the questions...

My English teacher is good at teaching, but only when he actually does teach. Due to the attitude of certain members of the class, he spents a lot of the lesson shouting at people, accusing them of liking only maths, not caring about English. In today's lesson, he kicked out this boy for the whole lesson since the said pupil just didn't care.

So that leaves me clueless to actually answer the questions in the exam, which are worth some 30 marks (+ 4 marks for spelling, punctuation, and grammar). How am I meant to revise? Am I meant to have notes, just like for science or geography, or am I meant to just practice?
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
When I did Of Mice and Men, the main things we had to do were learn quotes, symbolisms, themes and characters.
We'd have mind maps with, for example, George in the middle, and would think about what he represents in the novel, how he changes throughout the novel, how he interacted with others and key quotes relating to him.
Themes would be things like Loneliness, Dreams, Racism... we'd have to think about which characters/scenes illustrate these themes, and also how they'd tie in with events of the time (think about white supremacy, the American Dream, lack of female rights, the Depression....)

Sorry it's vague - it's been two years since I've read the book!

Edit: practising past exam essay questions also helps as a lot of people struggle with timings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pursuedbyabear
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For my revision, I'm doing various character/theme/symbol analyses to try and get some deeper points to use in my head (I'm also doing AQA, OMAM and Lord of the Flies), using research for the deeper contextual aspects. Our teachers always say that the key is knowing the books inside out, so you are able to give evidence without really having to think about it.

In terms of structure, I structure my answers similarly to coursework questions, albeit probably in less detail - as would be expected with the lack of time - with an introduction, conclusion, etc. I guess this makes them seem a little more complete. The people in our class with the higher grades in past papers planned each answer briefly before starting, as well.

There's a discussion thread here, if you haven't already seen it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3155997 .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads