Restriction mapping Watch

boodle123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
what actually is restriction mapping? I dont understand what the purpose of it is? (and what kilobases are....?
HenryHiddler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by boodle123)
what actually is restriction mapping? I dont understand what the purpose of it is? (and what kilobases are....?
One kilobase is just 1000 bases. So if I say that I have a DNA that is 2 kilobases long, it has a length of 2000 bases.

Restriction endonucleases, which are the enzymes that cut DNA, split DNA at recognition sites called restriction sites. They recognise particular palindromic sequences.
A palindromic sequence is one where the base sequence is the same on both strands, but it in opposite directions. For example,

GAATTC
| | | | | |
CTTAAG

The fragments they form have different sizes. You can use the lengths of these fragments to map out where the sites that the 'cuts' were, and thus the structure of the DNA.

So basically, they can be used to get more information about a piece of DNA. If you want a bit more information on how restriction mapping can be used to compare two individuals, here's the link

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19