Sri Harsha M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is AS english language easy? Post your opinions.
earwithfeet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did combined Literature and Language for A Level and the majority of my class found the language part a lot more difficult than the literature. I came out with an A and I have to say that I actually found language somewhat easier, but I was definitely the minority.
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't do Language, I did Lit, but my friends have done Language and have said it is easy. Generally it seems to be accepted in my college, at least, that whatever grade you get in Lit, you'd get one higher in Language. After looking at the content myself, I'd definitely say Language is easier.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sri Harsha M)
Is AS english language easy? Post your opinions.
I did English Language at A-level. And to be honest, all the new specs look 5x harder than the old ones. I did AQA A during my A-levels (last year). And it was really interested, but hard.

The AS exam was easy for me. A bit boring learning about the "nuts and bolts" of English. I think though, our teacher was new so she didn't really know what she was doing. The Child Language Acquisition was the best part for me. I still think it's so interesting to learn how children learn to speak, theories behind it. For example, babies will tend to ignore voices that aren't their mothers. So when a mother speaks, the child will most likely look at their mother. Theory for this is because when the child was in the mother's womb, they hear the mother's "tongue" through eco-location. Another thing we learnt was how handwriting is formed, by learning how children are taught to hold pens and learnt about their motor skills and dyslexia and stuff. I thought it was really good! So interesting! Those are the many things you learn. So that element is linguistic, biological and psychological aspects of English Language.

For me and many other students, A2 was the hardest, especially Discourse and the coursework. The coursework is an investigation which is more kind of like a dissertation at uni - it's something you go and research and investigate by yourself. I liked it. It was difficult. I found English Language coursework was more time consuming at A2 than for AS and for English Literature, which was the only downside to English Language.

Other than that, I have no regrets. I find it more easier to analyse language in almost any contexts; whether I'm reading uni/academic texts, poetry, autobiographies, fiction to non fiction and etc etc. It just becomes way more easy. If you get a goodgrade or listen in class, you actually can pick out so many grammar mistakes people say both in spoken and written language. I don't mean the easy ones, but the real nasty, complicated ones. But I really enjoyed it.
Sri Harsha M
Rep:
?
Thanks for the through reply
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
I did English Language at A-level. And to be honest, all the new specs look 5x harder than the old ones. I did AQA A during my A-levels (last year). And it was really interested, but hard.

The AS exam was easy for me. A bit boring learning about the "nuts and bolts" of English. I think though, our teacher was new so she didn't really know what she was doing. The Child Language Acquisition was the best part for me. I still think it's so interesting to learn how children learn to speak, theories behind it. For example, babies will tend to ignore voices that aren't their mothers. So when a mother speaks, the child will most likely look at their mother. Theory for this is because when the child was in the mother's womb, they hear the mother's "tongue" through eco-location. Another thing we learnt was how handwriting is formed, by learning how children are taught to hold pens and learnt about their motor skills and dyslexia and stuff. I thought it was really good! So interesting! Those are the many things you learn. So that element is linguistic, biological and psychological aspects of English Language.

For me and many other students, A2 was the hardest, especially Discourse and the coursework. The coursework is an investigation which is more kind of like a dissertation at uni - it's something you go and research and investigate by yourself. I liked it. It was difficult. I found English Language coursework was more time consuming at A2 than for AS and for English Literature, which was the only downside to English Language.

Other than that, I have no regrets. I find it more easier to analyse language in almost any contexts; whether I'm reading uni/academic texts, poetry, autobiographies, fiction to non fiction and etc etc. It just becomes way more easy. If you get a goodgrade or listen in class, you actually can pick out so many grammar mistakes people say both in spoken and written language. I don't mean the easy ones, but the real nasty, complicated ones. But I really enjoyed it.
Sri Harsha M
Rep:
?
(Original post by earwithfeet)
I did combined Literature and Language for A Level and the majority of my class found the language part a lot more difficult than the literature. I came out with an A and I have to say that I actually found language somewhat easier, but I was definitely the minority.
Thanks for the opinion
Sri Harsha M
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllainKahlo)
I didn't do Language, I did Lit, but my friends have done Language and have said it is easy. Generally it seems to be accepted in my college, at least, that whatever grade you get in Lit, you'd get one higher in Language. After looking at the content myself, I'd definitely say Language is easier.
Thanks for the opinion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.67%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (105)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.31%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.1%

Watched Threads