The Student Room Group

If you choose to do 4 a levels does university ask for 3 or 4 grades

Let's say their entry requirements are AAA do they require to get AAAA.
Is it worth to do 4 a levels, I don't want to be at a disadvantage because of my poor gcses I got 5B and 3C.:frown:
Did you find 4 a levels too hard to cope with?
What happens is schools usually push kids to do 4 so that incase they don't like a subject they can drop it. I dropped bio after year 12. I would say do 4 just to be safe.

Universities see all 4 of your AS grades because you MUST enter them into UCAS even if you drop one. But unis only require 3 A Levels for entry. Your fourth grade isn't necessary as long as you get the 3 required grades.
Reply 2
Original post by epic within
Let's say their entry requirements are AAA do they require to get AAAA.
Is it worth to do 4 a levels, I don't want to be at a disadvantage because of my poor gcses I got 5B and 3C.:frown:
Did you find 4 a levels too hard to cope with?

If you didnt even get an A at GCSE, I dont suggest you do 4 A-Levels at all
As for your original question, yes some unis will require 4 grades (ie Imperial do this) in other cases liek birmingham if instead of an A*AA offer it would be A*AA/AAAA offer. Like I said I think its a bad idea for you to be doing 4 A-Levels. I did 6AS Maths, FMaths, Physics, Bio, Chem, GenStudies taking 4 to A2 Maths Chem Bio & Gen Studies...I got ABABAB respectively at AS where I am pretty sure if I had taken only 4 it would have been 4As. I wanted to take 3 to A2 but was forced to do general studies
Reply 3
Original post by Hudl
If you didnt even get an A at GCSE, I dont suggest you do 4 A-Levels at all
As for your original question, yes some unis will require 4 grades (ie Imperial do this) in other cases liek birmingham if instead of an A*AA offer it would be A*AA/AAAA offer. Like I said I think its a bad idea for you to be doing 4 A-Levels. I did 6AS Maths, FMaths, Physics, Bio, Chem, GenStudies taking 4 to A2 Maths Chem Bio & Gen Studies...I got ABABAB respectively at AS where I am pretty sure if I had taken only 4 it would have been 4As. I wanted to take 3 to A2 but was forced to do general studies

I'm currently in AS and i'm predicted AAAC so I know I can do it but did you find it hard to revise for 4 subjects since A2 is harder
Reply 4
Usually if you do 4 A2s they give you an offer for 3 of them. Though a few differ. Cambridge and Imperial College gave me 4 grade offers, but everywhere else gave me 3.

Quick Reply

Latest