Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have 3 offers to study computer science at warwick(conditional), edinburgh(conditional) and umist(unconditional)..
    im leaning towards edinburgh at the moment..
    btw im from overseas...
    any thing i should know before i make my decision..

help..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtan)
    i have 3 offers to study computer science at warwick(conditional), edinburgh(conditional) and umist(unconditional)..
    im leaning towards edinburgh at the moment..
    btw im from overseas...
    any thing i should know before i make my decision..

help..
    personally i'd pick edinburgh for my first choice. its a gorgous city and a great uni, you'd have a brilliant time there

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh for CS.

Initial thoughts....Warwick is dull, UMIST CS isn't merging till 2005, Edin is great and I would have gone there if Notts wasn't so pretty. I shall therefore suggest Edin.

ReputationRep:
    Edingburgh cos it's cool and a well respected uni in a great city

ReputationRep:
    Warwick because i'm biased.

ReputationRep:
    what about computing facilities...?
    im attracted to edinburgh cos of the industrial placements..

getting confused..
    i read the article by the register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/07...best_computer/

(Original post by gtan)
    what about computing facilities...?
    im attracted to edinburgh cos of the industrial placements..

getting confused..
    i read the article by the register
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/07...puter_science/
    Among the top 20 unis in the country I have yet to see a university that does not provide adequate facilities for a computer science student so I would't worry too much about that. I would also advise against picking a uni because of industrial placements because you can do these at pretty much any university and you (assuming you apply to a national business) will have to go through the same application process wherever you go regardless of supposed guaranteed placements. Like I said earlier I would pick wherever you would be happiest, at the end of the day for CS it will be your level of ability that gets you a job rather than the uni you attended (uni names get you through the door, not into a job). All three are very good uni's so you should have a good degree no matter which you choose.

PS - That articles results are based on the subjective views of other people and therefore you should not base too much on them. The idea that any employer is actually going to give preference for a technical job based on which uni you attended is absurd (oxbridge excluded). They will look for a good degree result and the rest is up to your ability and interview technique.

ReputationRep:
    ive been looking at the statistics.. and warwick and edinburgh are pretty close.. in terms of teaching.. employment.. and 2:1s

what does it mean when a high percent of people get 2:1s or better??
    quality of students or ??

Universities have a great deal of freedom to give out whatever degree classifications they like (only one exteral quality inspection I think :confused: ). Edinburgh and Warwick both have very close statisitcs though so don't base too much on that (even statasticians say that we should ignore small differences in scores). In my opinion you should make sure that your university is well placed overall (i.e. top 20 if possible) with a good research rating for your course i.e. 5 or above (these are set to change soon though) and then make sure that you like the department and course (I disliked Warwick but the people at Edinburgh were really nice). If you like the course and uni then you should simply ignore other factors and go wherever you like the most and are going to produce your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtan)
    ive been looking at the statistics.. and warwick and edinburgh are pretty close.. in terms of teaching.. employment.. and 2:1s

what does it mean when a high percent of people get 2:1s or better??
    quality of students or ??
    From the statistics you can go with the <b>general</b> rule that the higher the UCAS points required for the entry the higher the number of 2:1s awarded will be.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick definatley, especially for CS, it def has the best rep for CS out of the 3, infact it has one of the best CS departments in the country. I know people say this isn't as important but I feel because of this, the calibre of student there will be v high and you will find this more stimulating (intellectually). Edin is also quite good, but I don't feel the calibre of student is quite as high(demonstrated by the alev grades they ask for). And before people jump down my throat and say just because they have low alev grades offers doesn't mean the students actually have lower grades....I've known quite a few people with not so high predictions attain a place at Edin and not at Warwick, it seems like there is more competition for a place at Warwick compared with Edin.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    From the statistics you can go with the <b>general</b> rule that the higher the UCAS points required for the entry the higher the number of 2:1s awarded will be.
    LOL...Im not seeing the obvious link between the two? :confused: Clearly there will be a correlation because strong uni's can attract strong candidates but if a university is free to set it's own standards then you can't really use that rule. For example if a university got a course full of AAA students and then decided that it wanted to set the bar incredibly high, they would not award as many high classification degrees.

ReputationRep:
    No that is not the case as unis are free to put the levels of classes where they want. For example: You will find not that many people score a high class from LSE compared to other top unis, yet it is one of the best unis in the country.

ReputationRep:
    what about umist??
    would it be considered in the same league?

(Original post by BossLady)
    Warwick definatley, especially for CS, it def has the best rep for CS out of the 3, infact it has one of the best CS departments in the country. I know people say this isn't as important but I feel because of this, the calibre of student there will be v high and you will find this more stimulating (intellectually). Edin is also quite good, but I don't feel the calibre of student is quite as high(demonstrated by the alev grades they ask for). And before people jump down my throat and say just because they have low alev grades offers doesn't mean the students actually have lower grades....I've known quite a few people with not so high predictions attain a place at Edin and not at Warwick, it seems like there is more competition for a place at Warwick compared with Edin.
    Conversely I know people (well two technically) with perfect predicted grades to be rejected by Edinburgh and to have attained a place at Warwick In my opinion for CS there is very little difference between the calibre of the top uni's courses once you get past the likes of Imperial and Cambridge. I think that a degree from any of the subsequent universities is just as good as any other in the eyes of prospective employers. Again for me it would boil down to which university I actually liked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    No that is not the case as unis are free to put the levels of classes where they want. For example: You will find not that many people score a high class from LSE compared to other top unis, yet it is one of the best unis in the country.
    Thats why I highlighted the genrral in bold but I did it with HTML tags by accident. Their is a coleration between 2:1s awarded and entry requirements. I am not saying its the same in every case. Universities still have very strict rules on what they can award, they can't give 2:1's to everybody for example.

(Original post by gtan)
    what about umist??
    would it be considered in the same league?
    The University of Manchester would definitely be considered in the same league as Warwick, Edin, York, Bristol, Notts, UCL etc... but unfortunately the depatments are not merging until 2005. While UMIST is an incredibly good university which produces highly employable graduates, it does lack the recognition that it deserves that some other uni's I have mentioned already have.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt actually visit edinburgh... but i drove past warwick and ..walked around umist.. warwick seemed kinda out of the way.. and i actually expected manchester to be more dynamic/vibrant..

but then again.. im there to study..

they can't give 2:1's to everybody for example.
    They can. They probably would'nt but...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.