The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by talia13
So the Higher Modern assignment is due soon, and I'm a bit lost with it to be honest. I think I've sort of grasped what help my teacher has given us, but I'm still unsure on how long it's supposed to be.

If anybody could give me a rough estimate in pages and/or words that would be great

Is anybody else finding this assignment difficult?

yes! i am also struggling with this although the other day our teacher gave us a handout which really helped.

My topic is "is the government doing enough to reduce gender inequalities in the uk?" and i began by giving some background information on the gender pay gap then did 3 main points.

these were : comparing the uk system to affirmative action in the usa (for and against making that a uk system)

should childcare be more affordable (for and against)

tackling discrimination (are we doing enough arguments from both sides)

i used youtube videos, an online survey i made on suvrey monkey, internet and book research and came to a conclusion about which point i thought would be best and also assessed how reliable each of my sources were.

hope this is helpful if you need any more information or possibly information from my teachers help sheet just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Our teacher gave us a lot of information about the assignment, but even she was unclear of what the SQA want. We have just done our write up and I figured mine to be around 2700-3000 words long (and we had to memorise that!). The research sheet was the biggest downfall for me as your not allowed to directly copy anything off of it, so mines was basically all in code apart from quotes. I found it really tough and im glad to just have it all over and done with.
Mine was on Gender Inequality in the Workplace and my three approaches were the 50/50 Campaign, Free Childcare until the end of Primary and Compulsory Living Wage.

Hope this helped :biggrin:.
Oh my gosh, thank god I'm not the only one who's struggled with it. I wrote mine last week; it's on Scottish Independence and it's over 2500 words long. I have no idea how on earth I'm going to write that up within the time constraints! Our official write up date is this Friday, and I had my RMPS assignment today. It just seems like a hell of a lot to know!
Reply 4
Mines is next week and I still haven't finished, it's so hard although out help sheets are helping a lot... I think a plan would have been a lot better than our research sheets!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought I was the only one struggling with this assignment - thank goodness I'm not!

My teacher gave us some brief information on the write up about timing and information. She usually uploads links to videos or fact sites on "GlowScotland.com" for us!

My assignment question is

“Is social class the most important factor in influencing voter behaviour?” and I'm writing it like a decision-making question, which is completely different to everyone else!
I'm currently typing mine up just now and it's at 1900 words, but I still need to add some parts. So, it will probably come to 2300 words (roughly). I have no idea how I'll manage to write it up in 1hr 30mins.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok so I have also been given this to do and even though I have been given powerpoints and sheets to look at, it still seems hard to do. My topic is child poverty and it just seems so hard to be able to write this information up in a report style that looks more like an assignment rather than a DME. It seem really hard to do Help anyone? I mean how do you start? just an introduction? then what writing solutions and why you picked them?
Reply 7
Original post by scnotcrazy
Ok so I have also been given this to do and even though I have been given powerpoints and sheets to look at, it still seems hard to do. My topic is child poverty and it just seems so hard to be able to write this information up in a report style that looks more like an assignment rather than a DME. It seem really hard to do Help anyone? I mean how do you start? just an introduction? then what writing solutions and why you picked them?

You should have headings. If you want i can send you pics of an example one my teacher has gave me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
You should have headings. If you want i can send you pics of an example one my teacher has gave me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please that would be very helpful xx
Yea know what you mean I am also struggling with the Modern Studies assignment. The problem I have is they are expecting to much in an 1h30m. My teachers have also said I am better to do just 2 viewpoints but is it not compulory to do 3 viewpoints?
Original post by samsam9797
Yea know what you mean I am also struggling with the Modern Studies assignment. The problem I have is they are expecting to much in an 1h30m. My teachers have also said I am better to do just 2 viewpoints but is it not compulory to do 3 viewpoints?

You should have 3 reasons. For the reason you agree with, you should have 3-4 arguments for why this is right and for the other reasons just one then rebuttal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
You should have 3 reasons. For the reason you agree with, you should have 3-4 arguments for why this is right and for the other reasons just one then rebuttal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much I will do 3 viewpoints then as this means I can go into more detail and not have to waffle on for just 2 points.

How are you finding the assignment? :smile:
Thanks very much I will do 3 viewpoints then as this means I can go into more detail and not have to waffle on for just 2 points.

How are you finding the assignment? :smile:

Ha hah my teacher is the opposite she says talk about two but then in the conclusion briefly mention the third 😊 and its hard!!!!!xx
outsource it to any online assignment services :tongue:
Original post by Jessica933
outsource it to any online assignment services :tongue:

Whats that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many sources are people using on their assignment? Is there any limit?
How many sources are people using on their assignment? Is there any limit?

Four and about fourish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
Four and about fourish

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh damn! :s-smilie: I have eight sources, but they are mainly websites so does that just count as one official source?
oh damn! :s-smilie: I have eight sources, but they are mainly websites so does that just count as one official source?

No, that counts as eight sources. Did you do national 5? On your source sheet you should have "source A the guardian name of article e.g. First refugee flight then bullet points of info. Then source b could be like the herald article in the same format and source c another guardian article. I would suggest talking to your teacher, the final write ups are soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
No, that counts as eight sources. Did you do national 5? On your source sheet you should have "source A the guardian name of article e.g. First refugee flight then bullet points of info. Then source b could be like the herald article in the same format and source c another guardian article. I would suggest talking to your teacher, the final write ups are soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I did National 5 but I feel the Higher assignment is lot different from National 5. Thanks for your help and suport on this, as it has shown that I really need to speak to my teacher. I need to make sure I'm clear and consistent on what I am doing as this is 30% of my mark and I am curently not confident. Thanks for your help though I appreciate it :smile:

Latest