The Student Room Group

Iran blows up replica of American aircraft carrier

Now call me old-fashioned, but surely a "peaceful country" run by Muslims who are currently engaged in talks over their "peaceful nuclear programme", wouldn't create an identical copy of a US aircraft carrier in order to publicly sink it?

Seems like quite the provocation from the Iranians.

(edited 9 years ago)
After the Israel thing which also involved nuclear stuff, it shows that Iran can't be trusted.
Reply 2
Nothing like a propaganda exercise. Still I don't think this really undermines the current talks. I haven't actually seen anyone offer a plausible alternative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Nothing like a propaganda exercise. Still I don't think this really undermines the current talks. I haven't actually seen anyone offer a plausible alternative

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hang on, they're in talks primarily with the US.

Obama has done everything bar kiss the Iranians' feet so far.

Yet whilst in the midst of discussion about their nuclear programme, not only do they put on a display showing Israel being destroyed by missiles - they then go to the extreme of building a duplicate model of a US aircraft carrier and publicly sink it.

Yet you don't see this as provocation? :biggrin:

It's the Iranians thumbing their nose at everyone as usual and threatening everyone, as usual.
Original post by LockheedSpooky

Yet whilst in the midst of discussion about their nuclear programme, not only do they put on a display showing Israel being destroyed by missiles - they then go to the extreme of building a duplicate model of a US aircraft carrier and publicly sink it.

It's the Iranians thumbing their nose at everyone as usual and threatening everyone, as usual.

When you hold all the cards you have to make concessions and be the bigger man if you're going for the diplomatic approach. If America went hardline and diplomatically and financially curb stomped Iran you'd get people calling America bullies and warmongers.
Even a peaceful country needs to know how to protect itself.
Reply 6

Ok, so what's your suggestion. How do you think we should deal with Iran?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Ok, so what's your suggestion. How do you think we should deal with Iran?
Posted from TSR Mobile

We had them where we wanted them. Their economy was collapsing, dissent was increasing and they were begging to be bailed out.

We were a few months away from basically dictating the terms to THEM.

Instead, Hussein Obama decided to blink first and sent them a $7b bail out cheque and lifted some of the sanctions.

Unsurprisingly, the Iranians saw this as capitulation and have reverted to their old ways of using taqqiya as the foundation for any negotiation.

So confident are they now, that they can sit around the table with the Americans, whilst their armed forces are blowing up replicas of American aircraft carriers.
Reply 8
Reminds me of Despicable Me - when Gru is celebrating with his minions all of the dastardly deeds they have committed in the past year, including stealing the Statue of Liberty, well a model of it.
well maybe the US and A should make a cartoon video game of the Republican Guards enjoying manlove with Salman Rushdie and some farmyard animals.
calm down, it was just a model
It's a model aircraft carrier; who said it was American? In America, they train soldiers on targets that look like Arabs, yet I don't see your sensibilities being encroached on by that. This is simple sensationalist tosh as usual...
We had them where we wanted them. Their economy was collapsing, dissent was increasing and they were begging to be bailed out.

We were a few months away from basically dictating the terms to THEM.

Instead, Hussein Obama decided to blink first and sent them a $7b bail out cheque and lifted some of the sanctions.

Unsurprisingly, the Iranians saw this as capitulation and have reverted to their old ways of using taqqiya as the foundation for any negotiation.

So confident are they now, that they can sit around the table with the Americans, whilst their armed forces are blowing up replicas of American aircraft carriers.

'We'; not in my name. I support the lifting of sanctions and engaging more with Iran, strengthening both diplomatic and economic ties.
Reply 13
I think China has extended its nuclear umbrella to the Iranians in exchange for cheap oil and giving up its own nuclear program. This might be a demonstration exercise by Iran to suggest "Don't **** with us, this time we're not vulnerable to nuclear threats." The USA usually threatens other countries with nuclear weapons when it wants to get its way (well, every nuclear armed country does this to undefended non-nuclear country), so Iran adopting a more publicly belligerent approach might reflect a change in the vulnerability Iran historically faced, which is what led to its nuclear program.

Provocation is threatening to invade or nuke another country, as the US and Israel have done. Provocation is illegitimately sanctioning another country, despite the fact that their nuclear programme is completely legitimate under international law and the IAEA. Provocation is shooting down a passenger airline, claiming to mistake it for a fighter plane, then when intelligence proves you wrong, you refuse to make a public apology for the innocent casualties.

Provocation is not carrying out military drillls against a country that has been pushing to inavde you for the past decade.

Provocation is threatening to invade or nuke another country, as the US and Israel have done. Provocation is illegitimately sanctioning another country, despite the fact that their nuclear programme is completely legitimate under international law and the IAEA. Provocation is shooting down a passenger airline, claiming to mistake it for a fighter plane, then when intelligence proves you wrong, you refuse to make a public apology for the innocent casualties.

Provocation is not carrying out military drillls against a country that has been pushing to inavde you for the past decade.
you are all forgetting that the USA are the only country on the planet that have used nuclear weapons on another .did you know the Japanese were ready to surrender three days before the bomb was dropped .that's the sort of people you are dealing with ,Iran wouldn't last long the same can be said about North Korea .oh and an aircraft carrier is in a battle fleet and not on its own, so those little boats wouldn't have a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending