The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni of Nottingham - Catered or Self Catered?

I've firmed my offer for Physics MSci starting this September and I can't decide to go for Catered or Self Catered accommodation. On a Visit Day a few current physics students said catered is better because it means you don't have to think about cooking, although I'd like the independence and flexibility of Self Catered.
Catered I'd obviously be on University Park and Self Catered I'd apply for Broadgate Park.

Can anyone offer any advice/experiences in favour of one or the other?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im in the same boat, really cant decide.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I went on a summer school to Nottingham and the catered meals were horrible in the evenings. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rockyroad2014
I went on a summer school to Nottingham and the catered meals were horrible in the evenings. :smile:

Interesting, what sort of stuff was there?
Reply 4
Original post by elberethvarda
Hi! Not sure If I'm wrong or not but, I think there are no catered halls offered for PG students. Really, maybe I'm wrong, which catered ones are offered to PG students? (I found only 1 and it's part-catered..)

Have you checked on their website? Im pretty sure There were some halls specifically for PG students? I may be wrong though.
Hi! Not sure If I'm wrong or not but, I think there are no catered halls offered for PG students. Really, maybe I'm wrong, which catered ones are offered to PG students? (I found only 1 and it's part-catered..)

Original post by Jasonpt
Have you checked on their website? Im pretty sure There were some halls specifically for PG students? I may be wrong though.

I'm guessing you are on the four year course for the MSci which classes as undergraduate so all the usual halls and choices are available to you. PG halls are only for one year Masters degrees or PhD students.

Also I was in catered halls and I really didn't mind the food at all.
Reply 6
Original post by EMassey
I'm guessing you are on the four year course for the MSci which classes as undergraduate so all the usual halls and choices are available to you. PG halls are only for one year Masters degrees or PhD students.

So when you apply for accommodation will they put you in halls based on your course? so like locations closer to the places you will work?
Original post by Jasonpt
So when you apply for accommodation will they put you in halls based on your course? so like locations closer to the places you will work?

No it's all completely random, you are put with a mixture of courses and could be in any hall. It doesn't put you in certain places because you are a certain subject.
Original post by rockyroad2014

I went to the summer school but I liked the food haha. There was only one day where most of the options were Indian food and I didn't like any of it so I just had dessert.

I'm definitely going for catered though because I can't cook for ****. I don't wanna starve, and I'm not up for sharing a kitchen with people considering I can't cook.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by EMassey
No it's all completely random, you are put with a mixture of courses and could be in any hall. It doesn't put you in certain places because you are a certain subject.

Ah ok thank you for clarifying.
Reply 10

My bad yeah it's the four year course! Going in as first year UG.

Original post by Kandybars
I went to the summer school but I liked the food haha. There was only one day where most of the options were Indian food and I didn't like any of it so I just had dessert.

I'm definitely going for catered though because I can't cook for ****. I don't wanna starve, and I'm not up for sharing a kitchen with people considering I can't cook.

I don't think I'll mind cooking. Just do like the sound of someone else doing it for me though.

After a couple of conversations with friends etc think I'm going to go for self catered
Reply 11
Original post by wmavfc
My bad yeah it's the four year course! Going in as first year UG.

I don't think I'll mind cooking. Just do like the sound of someone else doing it for me though.

After a couple of conversations with friends etc think I'm going to go for self catered

I think you can cook in both catered and self catered.
The amount you pay for self-catered works out to the same amount you would pay for catered. This is because of contract dates, etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Jasonpt
I think you can cook in both catered and self catered.

Just to clarify, there aren't cooking facilities as such in catered halls. You have access to a pantry which has a microwave, toaster and kettle, and you'll have a mini fridge in your room, but there's no oven, hob etc :smile: Plenty of takeaway ads will get pushed under your door for the days when there's nothing on offer you want to eat though!
Reply 14
Original post by brijn
Just to clarify, there aren't cooking facilities as such in catered halls. You have access to a pantry which has a microwave, toaster and kettle, and you'll have a mini fridge in your room, but there's no oven, hob etc :smile: Plenty of takeaway ads will get pushed under your door for the days when there's nothing on offer you want to eat though!

Thank you for a detailed response!
Reply 15
Original post by EMassey

When you apply for a specific type of accommodation will the hall you are put into have the same type of rooms or is it all mixed up? So for example if you chose the best type of room will the hall you are put in only have one type of room? Thanks:smile:
Original post by Jasonpt
When you apply for a specific type of accommodation will the hall you are put into have the same type of rooms or is it all mixed up? So for example if you chose the best type of room will the hall you are put in only have one type of room? Thanks:smile:

Most halls have a mixture of room types. Some halls have more of certain types of room than others eg the majority of rooms at Ancaster and Cavendish are ensuite, Willoughby has almost all single study rooms and Nightingale is mainly single study plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Rainbow2753
Most halls have a mixture of room types. Some halls have more of certain types of room than others eg the majority of rooms at Ancaster and Cavendish are ensuite, Willoughby has almost all single study rooms and Nightingale is mainly single study plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, ok thank you! Are there certain types of people in particular halls? I just hope I dont end up in a hall that has antisocial people in it.
Original post by Jasonpt
Ah, ok thank you! Are there certain types of people in particular halls? I just hope I dont end up in a hall that has antisocial people in it.

No certain people in each hall because it's allocated completely randomly.
Reply 19
Original post by EMassey
No certain people in each hall because it's allocated completely randomly.

Thanks, you've been so helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest