r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi my predicted grades are AAC with 2 of them being A-levels and one being a diploma. I got a C in English but B in maths. I applied to roehampton, Greenwich, St Mary's, Westminster and birkbeck. I've received conditional offers from all 5 but now I've had a change of heart and want to study away from home. I also think that I didn't challenge myself enough in terms of the uni's I applied to. I want to apply to maybe Kent or Brighton for business management. Does anyone think I should decline my offers in the hope of receiving one. The main thing I an concerned about is the fact that I won't have an insurance choice and if I don't get any offers then I'll have to go through clearing but this is really a worse case scenario. I am planning to do this tomorrow after I've called them up to confirm that they have places available. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You've already highlighted the main disadvantage of going through Extra- you won't have an insurance choice. If you are planning to use Extra to apply for somewhere that might be a bit of a stretch, this is something to really think about. Clearing is obviously an option, but it can be very stressful, and you are often forced into making quick decisions about where you want to go. There's also a chance you won't find a suitable place via clearing- how would you feel if you ended up taking a gap year instead?

Another disadvantage of Extra is that you can only apply to one place at a time. If you decline your five offers and apply to, say, Brighton, and then get rejected and find Kent have then filled all their places, how will you feel? What would you do in this scenario, or if both universities rejected you?

It sounds like you think you might exceed your firm offer. Have you thought about using adjustment at all?
r-t
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
You've already highlighted the main disadvantage of going through Extra- you won't have an insurance choice. If you are planning to use Extra to apply for somewhere that might be a bit of a stretch, this is something to really think about. Clearing is obviously an option, but it can be very stressful, and you are often forced into making quick decisions about where you want to go. There's also a chance you won't find a suitable place via clearing- how would you feel if you ended up taking a gap year instead?

Another disadvantage of Extra is that you can only apply to one place at a time. If you decline your five offers and apply to, say, Brighton, and then get rejected and find Kent have then filled all their places, how will you feel? What would you do in this scenario, or if both universities rejected you?

It sounds like you think you might exceed your firm offer. Have you thought about using adjustment at all?
Yes I have thought about adjustment but I don't want to wait that long and would like to apply for accommodation etc where as if I get an offer through adjustment then I may not get accommodation because I'm too late. Both Kent and Brighton want BBB which I think is realistic hence why I don't necessarily need an insurance choice. My universities currently are all very low on the league table so I think that I could find a similar uni even through clearing aswell. Obviously I wouldn't use extra if I a RG uni but because they're not the great I feel like I'm not losing anything anyway if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
Yes I have thought about adjustment but I don't want to wait that long and would like to apply for accommodation etc where as if I get an offer through adjustment then I may not get accommodation because I'm too late. Both Kent and Brighton want BBB which I think is realistic hence why I don't necessarily need an insurance choice. My universities currently are all very low on the league table so I think that I could find a similar uni even through clearing aswell. Obviously I wouldn't use extra if I a RG uni but because they're not the great I feel like I'm not losing anything anyway if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand your point of view, and obviously it's your decision. If you've thought carefully about the downsides, and decided it's worth it, then going through Extra can be a good choice.

Good luck and I hope you get one of the offers you want.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I rejected all my offers last year. I decided to use Extra and it worked out for me. I found Exeter in Extra, got in. I also used Adjustment and I ultimately could have used Clearing as well. The lack of insurance is not really too big of a deal, certainly not the end of the world.

You have to think about the rest of your life here. If you 'settle' for unis in London, this is a rather bigger deal than not having an insurance choice.
r-t
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
I understand your point of view, and obviously it's your decision. If you've thought carefully about the downsides, and decided it's worth it, then going through Extra can be a good choice.

Good luck and I hope you get one of the offers you want.
Thank you, I'll let you know if I definitely go through with it and get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
Thank you, I'll let you know if I definitely go through with it and get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries, it sounds like you have a good chance of getting offers, but obviously nothing is ever guaranteed.
r-t
Rep:
?
(Original post by callum_law)
I rejected all my offers last year. I decided to use Extra and it worked out for me. I found Exeter in Extra, got in. I also used Adjustment and I ultimately could have used Clearing as well. The lack of insurance is not really too big of a deal, certainly not the end of the world.

You have to think about the rest of your life here. If you 'settle' for unis in London, this is a rather bigger deal than not having an insurance choice.
Wow congratulations. Exeter is a really good uni aswell. I also saw Exeter on extra but not for the course I want to do. Yeh I think an insurance choice is only necessary when the grades on your conditional offer are too high. How long did you have to wait for your offer from Exeter because I know they have 21 days to reply before you can withdraw your application and try somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
Wow congratulations. Exeter is a really good uni aswell. I also saw Exeter on extra but not for the course I want to do. Yeh I think an insurance choice is only necessary when the grades on your conditional offer are too high. How long did you have to wait for your offer from Exeter because I know they have 21 days to reply before you can withdraw your application and try somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was for Law, so extra competitive. I think it was around 5 days or something like that, not too long. I remember being surprised by how quickly they replied, so it might have been less.

What are you applying for, might I ask?
r-t
Rep:
?
It was for Law, so extra competitive. I think it was around 5 days or something like that, not too long. I remember being surprised by how quickly they replied, so it might have been less.

What are you applying for, might I ask?
Business management. I don't want a uni with entry requirements higher than BBB because I want to be realistic and not put myself under pressure especially how I won't have an insurance choice. Wow 5 days that's really good for Exeter aswell. Did they lower their entry requirements for you because you applied through extra or did they keep it the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
Business management. I don't want a uni with entry requirements higher than BBB because I want to be realistic and not put myself under pressure especially how I won't have an insurance choice. Wow 5 days that's really good for Exeter aswell. Did they lower their entry requirements for you because you applied through extra or did they keep it the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh that's interesting. Good luck! Do you have any idea where you might apply?

And no, it was the same entry requirements. I got the lower offer, equivalent to AAB rather than AAA, but maybe I just had a stronger profile so got the better offer. Generally, unis keep their entry requirements for Extra. Later on, such as Clearing and Adjustment, they start to drop them.
r-t
Rep:
?
Ahh that's interesting. Good luck! Do you have any idea where you might apply?

And no, it was the same entry requirements. I got the lower offer, equivalent to AAB rather than AAA, but maybe I just had a stronger profile so got the better offer. Generally, unis keep their entry requirements for Extra. Later on, such as Clearing and Adjustment, they start to drop them.
Yeh I suppose they start getting desperate near results time. I just declined my offers and sent of my application for Kent because I called them beforehand just to make sure. I'm so anxious I have to play the waiting game now but I just hope I get a reply and hopefully maybe as quick as you did. I have a few other uni's in mind aswell so I should hopefully get an offer from one of them. (Fingers crossed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
cherrycherry111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Hey, I was just wondering what course did you apply for at Exeter and how long they took to answer back?
thanks
r-t
Rep:
?
(Original post by cherrycherry111)
Hey, I was just wondering what course did you apply for at Exeter and how long they took to answer back?
thanks
He said in his previous posts if you scroll up that he applied for law and it took around 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
He said in his previous posts if you scroll up that he applied for law and it took around 5 days

Posted from TSR Mobile
before making your decision look into Loughborough reading and Swansea as well unless you only want to be around london
r-t
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
before making your decision look into Loughborough reading and Swansea as well unless you only want to be around london
All of their entry requirements are too high and Loughborough and Swansea are too far. I don't think they were all on the extra list for my course either. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r-t)
All of their entry requirements are too high and Loughborough and Swansea are too far. I don't think they were all on the extra list for my course either. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
according to what uni the entry requirements were bbb but it doesn't matter if you wish to stay close to home. shame cause Loughborough in particular is a brilliant uni but reading shouldn't be too far and along with kent would give you better options than you have looked at
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (2)
20%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (4)
40%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (4)
40%

Watched Threads