The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

So I have to hand in my A level choices for next year by Monday. I'm definitely taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, but then I'm stuck between History and German. I'm thinking of a degree in Biochemistry.

I think I prefer History, but German might be more useful. Whichever one I take, I'll drop it after Year 12.

Opinions? Should I take History or German?
Your doing 4 subjects so that's enough. Most universities only ask for 3 subjects but if you want to do a 5th subject then choose History as it's as respected as a foreign language and would probably be easier for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
For a degree in biochemistry it won't matter if you take history or german. I suggest you take the one you're best at and the one that is the most enjoyable because it will make it easier at a level. If you do change your mind you'll probably be able to change when you get to college. My friend changed courses about four times when she got to college because she was that indecisive! It's a massive step up and that's why 5 AS subjects may be too much for some people. No university (that I know of) requires you to have any more than 1 AS subject and 3 A2 subjects. If you want to that's fine but it will be a lot harder but as I said you can always change your mind at the start of college if it becomes too much. Hope this helps!
I do Maths, Biology and History and its a very diverse set of subjects, I deffo recommend History over German.
Are you sure your school will let you do 5? With all the changes we aren't letting anyone do five as it's too risky.
Original post by Raymat
Your doing 4 subjects so that's enough. Most universities only ask for 3 subjects but if you want to do a 5th subject then choose History as it's as respected as a foreign language and would probably be easier for you.

Original post by Muttley79
Are you sure your school will let you do 5? With all the changes we aren't letting anyone do five as it's too risky.

The way my school does it is really weird - they want us to take 4 options, but they count maths and further maths as only one option, so I have to take another subject. Believe me, I would be happy without doing German/History, but I don't really have a choice
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's actually really helpful - I think I will take History, I find it much easier. I also enjoy writing the essays, which is surprising, given that essay-writing is the aspect of English and RS which I like the least :smile:
Original post by emilysmith268
The way my school does it is really weird - they want us to take 4 options, but they count maths and further maths as only one option, so I have to take another subject. Believe me, I would be happy without doing German/History, but I don't really have a choice

Even if your school count Maths and Further as one subject then technically that's 3 subjects your doing which is enough. Your school can't force you to do 5 subjects. If they are then you might as well head to another college.
Maths and Further alone is huge amounts of work and add Biology and Chemistry on top which is even more work. You wont be able to cope with 5 subjects unless your some sort of prodigy.
Original post by Raymat
Even if your school count Maths and Further as one subject then technically that's 3 subjects your doing which is enough. Your school can't force you to do 5 subjects. If they are then you might as well head to another college.
Maths and Further alone is huge amounts of work and add Biology and Chemistry on top which is even more work. You wont be able to cope with 5 subjects unless your some sort of prodigy.

I don't know what to do, because I really don't want to leave my school. It is a really good school, like in the top 20 in the country, so we are expected to do really well. But then at the same time what you're saying is really true, and there will be so much work. But then idk because I can't be the only person in my year planning on doing similar subjects, so I don't really want to complain

Quick Reply

Latest