Kre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know many firms do things differently, but I know there are some similarities amongst the big4 and larger firms. How are the 3 years roughly laid out in terms of exams and college periods in your firm? I just want to get a rough idea. Also, how many exams on average per sitting are there?

Hard to find this info, thanks.
Tbx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kre)
I know many firms do things differently, but I know there are some similarities amongst the big4 and larger firms. How are the 3 years roughly laid out in terms of exams and college periods in your firm? I just want to get a rough idea. Also, how many exams on average per sitting are there?

Hard to find this info, thanks.
Ask the company you have a training contract with for the specific way they do things?

Generally its split into 3 stages
Certificate level - 5 exams
Professional level - 5 exams
Advanced level - 3 exams.

Most companies do 2 - 3 at a time.
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At KPMG the structure is for integrated graduates (as there's also an 'intensive' scheme running in parallel)

Year´= October to September (new grads start in October)

If I remember correctly it went like this:

Year 1:
- Autumn to spring: The computer based multiple choice ones. Accounting and assurance you do straight away before heading to work. Tax, law and the finance ones thereafter.
- September: FAR, TC, AA

Year 2:
- June: BPT, BS, FM

Year 3:
- November: TI's (SBM and CR)
- July: Case Study
Chapeau Rouge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PwC is, assuming September 2015 start:

October 15 - accounting, assurance, principles of tax

November 15- law, business and finance

March 16 - audit and assurance, financial accounting and reporting

September 16- tax compliance, business planning tax

December 16 - management information

March 17- business strategy, financial management

November 17 - two advanced papers and the case study.
Kre
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot guys!
Kre
Rep:
?
Have been given some info from my firm. For the professional stage, they say it will be 3-4 weeks in college for 3 of the exams (per sitting) and then a 2 week revision course straight after, and then the exams the following week. Seems pretty intense, is that what it's like for most firms? I had a feeling the exams would be at a later date with the college courses earlier, but I think I prefer this.
snakesnake
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kre)
Have been given some info from my firm. For the professional stage, they say it will be 3-4 weeks in college for 3 of the exams (per sitting) and then a 2 week revision course straight after, and then the exams the following week. Seems pretty intense, is that what it's like for most firms? I had a feeling the exams would be at a later date with the college courses earlier, but I think I prefer this.
KPMG does it with a gap where you're in college for 2 weeks or so, go back to work for a few months and then have a couple weeks of revision leading up to the exam.
Kre
Rep:
?
(Original post by snakesnake)
KPMG does it with a gap where you're in college for 2 weeks or so, go back to work for a few months and then have a couple weeks of revision leading up to the exam.
Yeah that's what I was expecting. How did you find it? Also, did you have any exemptions, if so, did you find the professional stage exams more difficult than those without?
snakesnake
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kre)
Yeah that's what I was expecting. How did you find it? Also, did you have any exemptions, if so, did you find the professional stage exams more difficult than those without?
I think this is the best system as it gives you the most time to study. Yes I had 3 exemptions and its nice to not have to sit a few exams. Never did I feel like I was missing out on any knowledge as everything you needed to know for a certain exam was always recapped anyway during study/revision.
Kre
Rep:
?
(Original post by snakesnake)
I think this is the best system as it gives you the most time to study. Yes I had 3 exemptions and its nice to not have to sit a few exams. Never did I feel like I was missing out on any knowledge as everything you needed to know for a certain exam was always recapped anyway during study/revision.
Oh that's reassuring thanks Which exams were you exempt from?
snakesnake
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kre)
Oh that's reassuring thanks Which exams were you exempt from?
Management information, Business Finance and Financial Management. Was one module short of getting an exemption on Business Strategy as well.
1jb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
@snakesnake - I'm in a similar position in applying for an exemption for Business Strategy. May I ask what modules you had on your application? Just looking at whether it is worth paying for the application with the modules I have on mine.
snakesnake
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 1jb)
@snakesnake - I'm in a similar position in applying for an exemption for Business Strategy. May I ask what modules you had on your application? Just looking at whether it is worth paying for the application with the modules I have on mine.
I don't recall any more, I just sent in my university transcript or something (the details are hazy now as this was over 2 years ago) and that was what I got.

Just get all the exemptions you can get, no point in sitting an exam you don't need to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (70)
23.57%
No (227)
76.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise