The Student Room Group

1 A level and 2 btecs. Please help, I can't stop crying

Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

Scroll to see replies

In all seriousness there isn't much you can do now. I would just work really hard to try get top grades and do lots of extra curricular activities so that you stand out against the rest of the other candidates.
Resit the year in a different college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
During year 11, did you not think to research what your options were after finishing school? Seems a bit silly to me tbh.
Original post by Cookies4623
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs. I plan to go to uni and get a masters, but thats another story. It would be okay if it was 2 a levels and 1 btec, as it shows I would be leaning towards 'acadmic' skills rather than 'practical'. It too late to resit the year and choose different courses. What am i going to do?? Am i going to be considered 'dumb' by employers and people in general? I'm predicted distinction*distinction*A* but i feel like that's not going to be enough now. I know im a little frantic right now but I feel like I've unintentionally ruined my life and employment chances and theres nothing I can do.

Depends on the grades you get and who you talk to. Typically the ones looking down and degrading BTECs are those that're failing A-level and are having a little breakdown. Don't take it seriously. - Relating to the part highlighted in bold

BTEC isn't the end of the line. I know plenty of ex-BTEC students that're doing beyond brilliant. Most places will happily accept you with a BTEC and an A-level alongside that.

EDIT: As mentioned on a different thread most of the degrading is actually over confused A-level students with the impression that Level 3 is the same as the students that done L1/L2 in school..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
During year 11, did you not think to research what your options were after finishing school? Seems a bit silly to me tbh.

I DID research them. I was told by my teachers that even though they were different courses they were worth the same amount of UCAS points and would be considered 'equal' by most unis. It was only after being on here for a while I realised what peope truely thought of them, and it sent me into a panic. Can you not see things from my side of the story?
Reply 6
Original post by grassntai
Resit the year in a different college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too old. By the time i left college i would be approaching my 20th birthday.
I DID research them. I was told by my teachers that even though they were different courses they were worth the same amount of UCAS points and would be considered 'equal' by most unis. It was only after being on here for a while I realised what peope truely thought of them, and it sent me into a panic. Can you not see things from my side of the story?

Not really because as you say, you did research them; so you should have come across this is your findings. Don't listen to your teachers absolutely.

If I were you I'd take (depending what you wanna do at uni) 2 full A levels next year or spread it over 2 years if you don't mind the extra year. Honestly, spending an extra year or 2 is relatively minor from the educational point of view as it will be for the rest of your life, social side is quite peak but even then it's not that bad.
Reply 8
Original post by Binary Freak
Depends on the grades you get and who you talk to. Typically the ones looking down and degrading BTECs are those that're failing A-level and are having a little breakdown. Don't take it seriously. - Relating to the part highlighted in bold

BTEC isn't the end of the line. I know plenty of ex-BTEC students that're doing beyond brilliant. Most places will happily accept you with a BTEC and an A-level alongside that.

EDIT: As mentioned on a different thread most of the degrading is actually over confused A-level students with the impression that Level 3 is the same as the students that done L1/L2 in school..

Oh thank you, thats just what i needed to hear. Im still feeling confused and a little panicked, but what you said completely made sense! If you're getting AAAA at a level, and you hear someone is doing BTEC and getting a similar grade, you dont mind, because youre secure with your own perfect grades. But if you were getting UUUU and you hear someone is getting the equivilant of an A* in another course that dosen't include exams you would be slightly ticked off. That being said, it's not like I'm relying completely on BTECs....at least I have one a level
besides, once I get my degree in uni, people in general won't bother to ask me about my A levels will they?
and whilst I'm asking, since you seem like quite a balanced person to talk to, just because I take BTEC...does it mean I'll be percieved as 'stupid'?
Reply 9
Not really because as you say, you did research them; so you should have come across this is your findings. Don't listen to your teachers absolutely.

If I were you I'd take (depending what you wanna do at uni) 2 full A levels next year or spread it over 2 years if you don't mind the extra year. Honestly, spending an extra year or 2 is relatively minor from the educational point of view as it will be for the rest of your life, social side is quite peak but even then it's not that bad.

I had no reason to doubt their word, but I see what you mean.
As to your other statement I don't think I can do that. I'm nearing the end of my final year in college, and have already been offered a place at my top choice uni, so to withdraw from that and to retract the loans i've applied for would be more hassle than its worth. Besides, i think i'm too old for that. If i was to restart college, in a sense, then by the time I leave I'll be nearing 20.
Oh thank you, thats just what i needed to hear. Im still feeling confused and a little panicked, but what you said completely made sense! If you're getting AAAA at a level, and you hear someone is doing BTEC and getting a similar grade, you dont mind, because youre secure with your own perfect grades. But if you were getting UUUU and you hear someone is getting the equivilant of an A* in another course that dosen't include exams you would be slightly ticked off. That being said, it's not like I'm relying completely on BTECs....at least I have one a level
besides, once I get my degree in uni, people in general won't bother to ask me about my A levels will they?
and whilst I'm asking, since you seem like quite a balanced person to talk to, just because I take BTEC...does it mean I'll be percieved as 'stupid'?

Bottom line.. There's nothing wrong with doing a BTEC. Be it pure or partial. There's people that attend RHUL.. Might be deemed by many on here. But most people on here lie skin deep about their grades just so they can garner a shred of respect from some of the higher grade students.

Most people.. Assuming they get a 2:1/First Class won't even mention their A-levels on C.V.. But some do request UCAS points.. Particularly graduate roles. There's nothing wrong with a BTEC to employers. It's targeted towards employers.. Hence vocational..

This is the problem with many people on here. They treat people with regard to the subject they're studying. The university doesn't define the individual. The subjects you're studying don't define you.. You define yourself.. Hell.. Plenty of people get A*AA and attend some universities deemed on here as mediocre

Here's a funny one users commonly make; intelligence is directly deterministic of the subjects you study or by the university you attend. It isn't and quite frankly people making a decision entirely based on a set of statistics is quite absurd and in many cases people are driven into depression because of the poor thought they put into their UCAS decisions..

Bottom line is.. It'll have a small impact on your uni decisions but it won't ruin your chances for employment.. Nor will it ruin your life.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had no reason to doubt their word, but I see what you mean.
As to your other statement I don't think I can do that. I'm nearing the end of my final year in college, and have already been offered a place at my top choice uni, so to withdraw from that and to retract the loans i've applied for would be more hassle than its worth. Besides, i think i'm too old for that. If i was to restart college, in a sense, then by the time I leave I'll be nearing 20.

Let that be a life lesson, don't believe anything without checking it out lol. But yeah I know what you mean, I'm going to uni next year (grades being good) and don't really want to stay at home next year. At least you're doing an A level to be fair, so I wouldn't worry about looking stupid, what course are you applying for? Btecs are sometimes better if they relate to the course directly.
Reply 12
I dont understand where you're coming from,

BTECs are generally preferred by employers and accepted by 95% of universities, if you get those grades thats excellent, and you wont have trouble getting a uni place or job in a relevant industry..

You really shouldnt take all you read on here as fact, a lot of the posters are just 16/17 year olds who think A levels are the be all and end all of qualifications, BTEC offers so many transferable skills and usually covers the same content as A levels of the same subject, im sure your Business BTEC is just as valuable (if not more) than Business A level.
Let that be a life lesson, don't believe anything without checking it out lol. But yeah I know what you mean, I'm going to uni next year (grades being good) and don't really want to stay at home next year. At least you're doing an A level to be fair, so I wouldn't worry about looking stupid, what course are you applying for? Btecs are sometimes better if they relate to the course directly.

I would love to do a BA honours in Theatre Studies, and then go on to get a MA in Acting. Not quite as academic as MA biology I know :P
Tbh I was worried that if I tried to do 4 A levels I'd spread myself out too thin and get a bad grade in Theatre studies (meaning I couldn't go to my chosen uni) so I thought 'hey! If I do these two BTECS in business, I could get the coursework out of the way early and devote every minute of my time into getting the best possible grade in Theatre! This way, if my performing arts career doesn't work out, i have back up knowledge in business!' Suppose I should have considered the general attitude beforehand xD
I know you're right, but it just seems to be a couple of people who really put you down, you know? And because of that I'm deemed less intelligent (I mean I'm no Stephen hawking or anything but still) and thus considered with less respect than someone who done 3 a levels instead of just one with betcs.
Do you think, in general, I could just say AAA if people asked what my a levels are later on because the BTEC distinction are equivalent to A? Not on my cv or anything, but just in general.
Reply 15

Theres nothing wrong with doing a BTEC!

Its just the Oxbridge supremacy we have on TSR. Nobody gives a **** IRL.
People with BTECs get into top universities. Your career and academic aims are more suited to the BTEC and university courses in the area you're interested wouldn't care that you haven't done A-levels, as it's a more practical course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take my story with a pinch of salt, since I took BTEC I.T, and not BTEC Business.

I'm currently in my second year of studying BTEC I.T, and about half a year ago, I was in the same situation as you; I was worrying that no university would accept me due to my BTEC. Keep in mind that I'm not studying an A-Level, only a BTEC.

I called a number of universities up and asked them if they accept BTEC. Nearly all of them said yes (although some required A-Level Maths along side the BTEC). I'd recommend you doing the same; call up some desired universities and tell them what subjects you are studying, and what course you are thinking about studying at university. In doing this, you can get a completely accurate response.

Upon applying for 5 different universities, I got 3 offers and one interview with nothing but a BTEC. Currently, I have an offer from Kings College, Newcastle, Lancaster, and an interview from Surrey (all decent universities).

The point that I am trying to make is that you can still get into good universities with a BTEC. I'd just recommend that you call some desired universities and tell them the subjects you are taking, and ask if those subjects are accepted for the university course you want to take.
Reply 18
Okay so I took A level theatre studies and double btec business. ive always had good grades my entire life and i chose them unaware of the 'unequality' even though the ucas points are considered the same. But now ive become aware of this I'm in a panic because now I am convinced that people will look down on me and lose respect simply because I took btecs.

You have nothing to worry about. I'm the same as you doing 2 BTECs and an A level, and managed 4 offers with 3 from RGs. Ignore the haters, they have no idea what they're talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science and its really good. I go there with an open mind and I actualy feel Like I am learning without using excessive brain power. wow. Its less of a stress than doing a levels trust me. I know this because I did 4 AS levels last year and only just passed 2 Chemistry and Physics.

so I decided to sit 2 modules each of both AS chem and physics. Along with modules of GCSE English language to bump up my grade.

Our head of applied science said that he thinks btec's are better than A-levels.
you learn more, and its the learning which counts. You learn at your own pace too and you tend to explore more than just sit there and take notes and stress over exams.

Quick Reply

Latest