The Student Room Group

Miliband's promise to lower tuition fees - do you believe him?

Scroll to see replies

What people also forget that it was LABOUR who first introduced the university fee anyway in 1998- I bet Ed wants us to forget that! I personally think the current system is actually fine. I understand that perhaps university should be free, but at the moment 9000 is actually alright- the amount you have to pay back regularly is small and it is cancelled after 30 years. Some will never pay it back!
Anyway, I think there is too much emphasis on university today- there should be more apprenticeships and encouragement for people to go into business, etc. rather than waste 3 years of their life 'studying' for a stupid and useless degree course they apparently love, when we all know they are only going for the lifestyle, and then completely stuck afterwards.
Not going to university isn't the end of the world; there are many successful people who did not go to university and not everyone is academic.
Reply 121
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think electorally it is a dangerous thing to do, pensioners vote in far greater numbers than any other age group. However, taking a cynical view, attacking some of the privileges of the better off pensioners may play well across a broad enough group of other voters to outweigh the disadvantages.

I am a bit concerned though that the policy is not just attacking truly wealthy pensioners. A pension pot of £1m sounds huge, but it's not untypical amongst many professional people to have pension pots that size. I'm not saying they are hard done by, as top people's salaries have risen steadily and at a much greater rate than others, but it's also true that dedicated professional people like doctors or academics offer a lot to society, as much as business people do and certainly more than many politicians.

I wonder if this is a case of cynical tax policy coming through. The truth is that the deficit is big and cannot be funded if Labour continues to avoid confronting the big corporations and global tax evasion/avoidance. There is no commitment from Miliband to really change the many tax giveaways that the Brown years gave away to the big companies. As long as that remains the case, they are going to have to hammer the middle class, not the rich, to meet the gap. That's what this policy seems to be about.

It's not attacking any pensioners...
It completely misses the point. The situation has to be looked at from first principles if we are to understand what is really happening and what should be implemented in the future.

1. Where exactly does the £9,000 a year go?

2. Is there really a free market in university education? Superficially there is plenty of competition and consumer choice for most subjects as several universities offer similar courses. Competition usually has the effect of driving prices down - or at least creating a variation in prices - but it doesn't occur for tuition fees.

3. Is it technically possible to reduce the cost of a degree? Engineers have managed to reduce the costs of electrical machinery through innovation so can innovation also reduce the costs of education?

4. With tuition fees at £9,000 a year does it throw open the door for private universities to offer degree courses for less? If so, then is this what Labour really fears?

5. Does snobbery play a part in deciding tuition fees? If one university offered a degree course for just £2,000 a year of comparable quality to that offered by another university for £9,000 a year then will it be looked down on by employers and lack prestige simply because of the price tag, or its graduates automatically deemed to come from lower class families who can't afford the 'real thing'?
Reply 123
Original post by Arran90
It completely misses the point. The situation has to be looked at from first principles if we are to understand what is really happening and what should be implemented in the future.

1. Where exactly does the £9,000 a year go?

2. Is there really a free market in university education? Superficially there is plenty of competition and consumer choice for most subjects as several universities offer similar courses. Competition usually has the effect of driving prices down - or at least creating a variation in prices - but it doesn't occur for tuition fees.

3. Is it technically possible to reduce the cost of a degree? Engineers have managed to reduce the costs of electrical machinery through innovation so can innovation also reduce the costs of education?

4. With tuition fees at £9,000 a year does it throw open the door for private universities to offer degree courses for less? If so, then is this what Labour really fears?

5. Does snobbery play a part in deciding tuition fees? If one university offered a degree course for just £2,000 a year of comparable quality to that offered by another university for £9,000 a year then will it be looked down on by employers and lack prestige simply because of the price tag, or its graduates automatically deemed to come from lower class families who can't afford the 'real thing'?

Most degrees cost more than £9k a year.
Original post by ridwan12
EU
Greece
Recession in other countries
Oil price's
Russia-Ukraine situation (if it gets any worse than now)
etc

Give me one example of how labour could put us back into recession.

Okay, maybe put us back into a recession is an overstatement but the levy forecast is predicting a global recession in 2015 (they've called every major financial event in the last 50 years) a Labour government would increase public spending thus increasing the national debt- this could harm the recovery- coupled with the likely hood of a recession on the continent I would say it's logical to vote for the party who will keep national debt as low as possible (the conservatives). If we do return to recession it would be deeper and more unpleasant with Labour at the helm. The conservatives are the only party with a strong economic plan.
Won't happen it's just a laughable attempt to get young people to vote Labour
It's a good idea. The Tory minister behind the Conservative-Lib Dem rise in tuition fees admitted that the Tories "got their maths wrong".

By reducing tuition fees, Miliband increases the amount likely to be paid back and takes a bit of the debt burden away from students who are incredibly stressed by it. This is beneficial to me and Labour's policy will be brought in just as I go into university.

And, Labour and Miliband will follow through: Miliband knows that he can't do a Clegg, because he's seen what happened to Clegg and the Liberal Democrats.

Labour continue to get my vote.
Having a uniform maximum tuition fee for UK students is stupid and a waste of money. Is a degree at London Metropolitan in media studies really worth as much as a degree in physics at a university like Imperial? Instead fees should be tiered based on the university and course varying from none to full subsidisation. This may even save more money than the current policy and would encourage student to pick a useful degree.
Reply 128
Original post by curiousc@t
If he does it, they had better reimburse those of us who paid £9000 for three years. Until there is that promise, I will vote conservative.

Second this. It is no fair for the people who have had to pay £9000 in the last three years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by viddy9
It's a good idea. The Tory minister behind the Conservative-Lib Dem rise in tuition fees admitted that the Tories "got their maths wrong".

By reducing tuition fees, Miliband increases the amount likely to be paid back and takes a bit of the debt burden away from students who are incredibly stressed by it. This is beneficial to me and Labour's policy will be brought in just as I go into university.

And, Labour and Miliband will follow through: Miliband knows that he can't do a Clegg, because he's seen what happened to Clegg and the Liberal Democrats.

Labour continue to get my vote.

So you're not concerned about the change in the interest rate terms? This is the first time the interest rate terms would have been changed on current student loans. Thin end of the wedge?
Reply 130
Original post by arty
Second this. It is no fair for the people who have had to pay £9000 in the last three years

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet it's fair you got a fee loan I suppose? :s-smilie:
What people also forget that it was LABOUR who first introduced the university fee anyway in 1998- I bet Ed wants us to forget that! I personally think the current system is actually fine. I understand that perhaps university should be free, but at the moment 9000 is actually alright- the amount you have to pay back regularly is small and it is cancelled after 30 years. Some will never pay it back!
Anyway, I think there is too much emphasis on university today- there should be more apprenticeships and encouragement for people to go into business, etc. rather than waste 3 years of their life 'studying' for a stupid and useless degree course they apparently love, when we all know they are only going for the lifestyle, and then completely stuck afterwards.
Not going to university isn't the end of the world; there are many successful people who did not go to university and not everyone is academic.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Labour have unrolled an election promise. Miliband was on all channels this morning promising to reduce tuition fees to around £6,000.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31640592
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/25/ed-miliband-to-woo-younger-voters-with-pledge-to-cut-tuition-fees

He's trying to win our votes (eg, the 'young vote') - the big question is, will he be believed?

Nick Clegg of course notoriously failed and lied on this issue. Will Miliband do any better?

EDIT: I suppose to be fair, Clegg did not exactly 'lie' on the issue, he simply dumped it when he entered coalition, because he couldn't persuade the Tories to accept it. Perhaps I should say he is widely seen as having lied on it.

He is obviously saying whatever he needs to say to win votes. So obviously, it is not believable. You can't make a promise that you cannot guarantee to fulfil. Has he actually researched into the feasibility of it? I don't think he has.

I have a feeling that if he does it, he will just take money from somewhere else (let us say fundings to universities, or people's maintenance grants/loans or similar).
Reply 133
Original post by Juichiro
He is obviously saying whatever he needs to say to win votes. So obviously, it is not believable. You can't make a promise that you cannot guarantee to fulfil. Has he actually researched into the feasibility of it? I don't think he has.

I have a feeling that if he does it, he will just take money from somewhere else (let us say fundings to universities, or people's maintenance grants/loans or similar).

Why wouldn't he just take the money saved by not giving as much in fee loan?

They're proposing to get the money to fund it from the pensions of well-off pensioners, by reducing the tax credits they get on pension payments for higher earners.
Reply 135
Original post by Quady
Why wouldn't he just take the money saved by not giving as much in fee loan?

The thing is universities need to be paid and as far as I understand 6K is not enough.
Reply 137
The thing is universities need to be paid and as far as I understand 6K is not enough.

Sure.

So give them the £3k saved by not giving a £9k loan.
Personally, I think the current system is fine, assuming there are no other ways to reduce the fees without having a negative impact on universities.
Original post by Quady
Sure.

So give them the £3k saved by not giving a £9k loan.

The thing is the 3K is actually 3K plus interests. So by giving 6K loans the government would be losing on this the way I see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending