The Student Room Group

I DON'T understand the difference between personification and a metaphor? HELP?

I know what they are, but it's confusing. For example: The sound died on the air. In my book it says it a metaphor, how's that? Isn't suppose to be a personification because "sound" is a non-living thing and it "died" which can only be referred to living things? Am I right?
(edited 9 years ago)
A metaphor is when something is described to be the same as something as completely unrelated; is the sound being identified as something else in a nearby sentence?
Original post by Anne james
I know what they are, but it's confusing. For example: The sound died on the air. In my book it says it a metaphor, how's that? Isn't suppose to be a personification because "sound" is a non-living thing and it "died" which can only be referred to living things? Am I right?

The main difference between a metaphor and personification is how it's being described. A metaphor generally is the direct comparison of something by something else that is unrelated to the object. (i.e. "heart of stone," "the cloud is a pillow," ect.)

Personification is mainly giving inhuman objects human-like qualities (i.e. "the flames ran through the woods," "the grass whistled in the breeze.")

Original post by earwithfeet
A metaphor is when something is described to be the same as something as completely unrelated; is the sound being identified as something else in a nearby sentence?

This seems like the most reasonable reason as to why there's confusion. It would make sense that sound is being described earlier in the sentence for it to be a metaphor, since "died" is more of a personification related description.
"I know what they are, but it's confusing. For example: The sound died on the air. In my book it says it a metaphor, how's that? Isn't suppose to be a personification because "sound" is a non-living thing and it "died" which can only be referred to living things? Am I right?"

Well yes, the two of them are a bit confusing however there is a major difference. At this point you are right, 'the sound died' has to be a personification or at least it is not a metaphor. An easy tip can be that a metaphor will never have a verb like 'died' associated with it, it will almost always be a mixture of noun and adjectives, this will help u pick up the metaphor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending