If obesity is such an issue, why do I never see obese people? Watch

channies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
When I'm walking down the street I never see people who are particularly fat. I guess some people could stand to lose a bit of weight but I wouldn't deem these people obese.

They say that a lot of people are overweight but are they just basing this on BMIs because that's not a very accurate way of measuring how overweight someone is.

So where are the obese people?? Are they all in hospitals or bedridden or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by channies)
So where are the obese people??
London
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
London
It depends which part of London, there are no obese in 'Made in Chelsea' for example. If you go to central London, like Knightsbridge, King's Road, Sloane Square for example I honestly think you would be hard pushed to find anyone fat let alone obese.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Birmingham has some serious fattys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I'm walking down the street I never see people who are particularly fat. I guess some people could stand to lose a bit of weight but I wouldn't deem these people obese.

They say that a lot of people are overweight but are they just basing this on BMIs because that's not a very accurate way of measuring how overweight someone is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing you live in a very middle class area then!!
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) You're blind
2) You're too kind
3) You live in a better-off area with more wealthy and educated people.
Colonel Agansu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
1) You're blind
2) You're too kind
3) You live in a better-off area with more wealthy and educated people.
Plenty of rich people are fat. In fact being fat is a symptom of being wealthy.

I think you've been brainwashed by the ALMIGHTY elite. #illuminati
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Colonel Agansu)
Plenty of rich people are fat. In fact being fat is a symptom of being wealthy.

I think you've been brainwashed by the ALMIGHTY elite. #illuminati
It is also I sign of the poor. Just look at poor Americans as a good example.

Junk food is cheap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Colonel Agansu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
It is also I sign of the poor. Just look at poor Americans as a good example.

Junk food is cheap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but poor people can't afford to buy enough to really be fat. Also poor people have lots of children so they need to stretch the junk food.
natar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're EVERYWHERE.

Out of interest what dress size would you consider 'fat' and/or 'obese'.
ScaryScience
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you'd be surprised about what obese actually looks like. When I had a BMI of 30 (so technically obese) I wouldn't necessarily say I looked particularly massive or someone who would stand out as being fat. And even less so when I had a BMI of 25.
Masih ad-Dajjal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they are so fat they stay at home in bed all day eating
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True but poor people can't afford to buy enough to really be fat. Also poor people have lots of children so they need to stretch the junk food.
Yes they can. I have seen it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe you live at the top of an incline, try looking further downhill
TroyAndAbed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are probably people that are technically overweight all around you. Some people's bodies hide the weight better. It is pretty rare for me to see someone so fat that I am left in a state of open mouthed horror which is what I tend to think of when I hear "obese". But that doesn't mean everyone is a healthy weight.
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Poor people relative to the western world are very fat compared to other humans. Obviously by poor I don't mean those who struggle to stay alive...
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People come in all shapes and sizes
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This may be true in Africa but it's statistically the case in the UK that the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be fat (plus UK welfare more than covers food). The middle class are better educated about nutrition, likely more vein and generally health conscious and tend to buy more fresh food. The poor in Britain buy 40 sausages for £2 and eat crap.

That being said, people who think fresh food is expensive have clearly not bothered to go to a local market.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know where you live, certain parts of the country have more obese people than others, but most likely you WILL see obese people. It's just that being overweight has become so "normal" now that people see them as a normal weight when in actual fact they're not. So yeah, that could explain it.
drewBusby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
pew pew shots fired

You found one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads