The Student Room Group

Any point of resitting IELTS?

The university I want to go to want overall of 7.0 and nothing below 6.5 in all 4 modules. Here are my results;
Listening: 5.5
Reading: 7.0
Writing: 4.0
Speaking: 8.0
Overall: 6.0
Do you think I stand a chance of reaching the requirements?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
The university I want to go to want overall of 7.0 and nothing below 6.5 in all 4 modules. Here are my results;

Being honest, it doesn't look good. I imagine that the uni will look particularly at your 4.0 in writing and wonder how you will cope with a degree.
Original post by ageshallnot
Being honest, it doesn't look good. I imagine that the uni will look particularly at your 4.0 in writing and wonder how you will cope with a degree.

The university isn't going let me in with those results that's why I have to retake it. Overall 7.0 + minimum 6.5 in all modules is the conditions of my offer. The question is; do I have a realistic chance of improving or do I have to accept that my English sucks and forget about it? It's not really possible to revise for English exams so that's why I'm asking.
Original post by Raymat
The university isn't going let me in with those results that's why I have to retake it. Overall 7.0 + minimum 6.5 in all modules is the conditions of my offer. The question is; do I have a realistic chance of improving or do I have to accept that my English sucks and forget about it? It's not really possible to revise for English exams so that's why I'm asking.

it doesn't look likely but retake it you never know. you have nothing to lose
Original post by Raymat

Are you an international student ??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 96jaimin96
Are you an international student ??

No I'm British but because I have C for GCSE English their making me do the IELTS. I needed B for GCSE English to get unconditional offer.
Original post by Raymat
No I'm British but because I have C for GCSE English their making me do the IELTS. I needed B for GCSE English to get unconditional offer.

Oh, you should have just retook GCSE English instead, but good luck getting in anyway.
Reply 7
If you want to improve that score, you'll definitely need to prepare. Writing, in particular, is very tricky and requires specific structures and vocabulary. A tutor would probably be the better option, although an IELTS-tailored book should suffice as well.

If you need some tips let me know and I'll try to help you (I have already done IELTS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Raymat

I remember reading somewhere that native speakers often do less well in IELTS than non-native speakers simply because they have a tendency not to do as much preparation.

You said it's not possible to revise but there are plenty of specific revision materials available on the British Council's Road to IELTS: http://www.roadtoielts.com/testdrive/.

The more you practise, the more likely you are to achieve the results you need. Since the exam itself is quite expensive and since you've already had this first unfortunate experience, if you do decide to sit it a second time round and you didn't use any of these preparatory materials the first time, it might well be worth considering them this time. It's not a lot extra to pay for the chance of going to the university you really want to go to.
Original post by 96jaimin96
Oh, you should have just retook GCSE English instead, but good luck getting in anyway.

I can't do GCSE English as they want results by June/July and GCSE results come by late August so that's why I'm doing the IELTS.
your best bet appears to go for a university that will accept you with a c in English language there are many out there including very good ones
Original post by Gnomes&Knights

orry to bring up an old post but i also got a 4 for my english language gcse but now im doing my first year of a levels studying bio chem and maths. i know the minimum english language requirement is a B/6 to do medicine in unis such as icl or kcl so i just want to know how did you manage to apply to unis and still get an offer despite your gcse english result. I though you wouldnt be able to apply in the first place.

Also is your first langauge english because im also a british student but worried i wont be allowed to do an IELTS test because i would rather do that then retake my english GSCE. Any advice would be helpful because im really stressing right now.
Original post by balaa123
orry to bring up an old post but i also got a 4 for my english language gcse but now im doing my first year of a levels studying bio chem and maths. i know the minimum english language requirement is a B/6 to do medicine in unis such as icl or kcl so i just want to know how did you manage to apply to unis and still get an offer despite your gcse english result. I though you wouldnt be able to apply in the first place.

Also is your first langauge english because im also a british student but worried i wont be allowed to do an IELTS test because i would rather do that then retake my english GSCE. Any advice would be helpful because im really stressing right now.

Proficiency tests are generally for international students with English as a second language. You’ll need to check the University requirements for anywhere you are considering, but if they need at least a 6 then you’ll likely have to retake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending