Psst.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have been writing notes up for my subjects but they're going to take forever! I started on 5/02/15 and I have just recently finished all my chemistry notes and notes on Britain.

I don't know if I'm being led on, but my friend said to me he finished all his notes in two weeks and he managed to pass all his GCSEs. For science I use those CGP revision guides, I usually write up the whole page. People tell me only write out the key points but I don't understand HOW to find the key points for science!

What advice can people give me?
M0nkey Thunder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd advise utilising the specification for your subject instead of the CGP Revision books. If you don't understand a concept in the specification, then use the revision book to get to grips with the concept.
CplSkippy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
CGP are great. My advice is to make notes of only essential points and principals and things that you think you are liable to forget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
qweuioo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keep on doing past papers!
wc01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just make notes on relevant information
Spider Diagrams help me more than notes, since i usually get bored after writing notes on a couple of pages
Different colours and small diagrams help
Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just write up the whole page if needed. CGP books are great to be honest for Science, even for Maths. However, for Maths, try to buy the book written by the exam board; it's just the key to A* if you read it all. I just usually write up the whole page, when I try to write up key points, I still end up writing 3/4 of the page, so it's just not needed, write it all up. The more practice, the better. Anything can come up in the exam, miss 1 part you miss a mark or many marks. Write everything in the book but in your own words to make it shorter if possible. But, the exam board is looking for answers written in the same way your revision guide writes them so don't know what to say lol.
greentron6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psst.)
I have been writing notes up for my subjects but they're going to take forever! I started on 5/02/15 and I have just recently finished all my chemistry notes and notes on Britain.

I don't know if I'm being led on, but my friend said to me he finished all his notes in two weeks and he managed to pass all his GCSEs. For science I use those CGP revision guides, I usually write up the whole page. People tell me only write out the key points but I don't understand HOW to find the key points for science!

I am currently writing notes and I understand that they take forever to write up. DO NOT just copy from a textbook, however condense the key points Some textbooks have unnecessary information usually at the beginning of each topic, when writing notes, try to write in bullet points or sentences that are not full - for instance:

Textbook version:
The electromagnetic spectrum

The electromagnetic spectrum is a continuous range ofwavelengths. The types of radiation that occur in different parts of the spectrum have different uses and dangers - depending on their wavelength and frequency.
ImageRefraction from a prism

Radio waves have the lowest frequencies and longest wavelengths, while gamma waves have the highest frequencies and shortest wavelengths.

All of these waves travel at the same speed in free space, which is the speed of light or about 300,000,000 m/s (metres per second).

Condensed version
I would not take the top part down, because it is unnecessary.
* Radio - longest wavelength, low frequency
* Gamma - shortest w. , high f.
* All waves - 300,000,000 m/s - at same speed in free space.

Do you see how I have condensed the information to extract the key points whilst writing as little as possible?

Information like the top part is usually used as an introduction on the exam papers. Therefore, exam boards will ONLY ask you specified questions, not broad ones. Study SMART and it will prove effective.

Hope this helped!
Fahim Awal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go on youtube, type note tutorial.
When making notes, only focus on the point you don't know.
Make notes along with the topic your studying at school, read the topic before the lesson. Usually, teachers have made a plan so if you follow their topic plan you will probably be ready. Make notes whilst reading instead of reading the page then immediately make notes, just saves time and keeps you less bored. Try going online and use power point revision slides, they're short and provide the relevant information. Most people who cram do this, use revision resources that don't take much time to learn as they cover the main things then do past papers. Usually past papers isn't just about the knowledge but how you can apply it. This means that it's sometimes common sense. Watch youtube videos, based on topics. Try using the website Khan Academy to learn. Try also using bitesize, it's really good and there's even a revision test you can do yourself. Goodluck.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psst.)

If you copy the whole page in the CGP revision guides, what's the point in writing your own notes? Usually, the CGP revision guides have unnecessary information at the beginning, which you don't need from the exam. You should be able to figure out the key points needed on the stuff you've been taught in class that teachers say is essential to learn and by the exam questions most commonly given on the topic, so have a look at past papers. Use bullet points when making your notes, that can help to keep it concise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads