Turn on thread page Beta

Should you pay more for a better uni for psychology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm an AS level student in Northern Ireland and I want to study psychology at uni, either in Northern Ireland or in England. My top two choices are Queens here in NI or Nottingham in England. Queens is ABB, Nottingham AAB for me (AAA without psychology or other accepted subject). As I'm a NI resident if I go to a NI uni (i.e. Queens) my fees are close to 4k a year, a lot less than the 9k I would pay a year to go to Nottingham.

Before deciding on psychology I was considering law (hated work experience) so my way of thinking the past few years is if I get amazing grades I should head to one of the better universities for law, i.e. Oxford, and disregard Queens which was pretty far down on the league table and had lesser entry requirements.

Is this the same for psychology? Does it look better where I go? I know I'll get the same degree out of it but I just want to know if people look closely at the uni, because Queens would be a better choice for me as it is cheaper and I do need to save for my postgrad degree, which I have to do in England (no unis on the island of Ireland do forensic psychology postgrad). Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachellemon)
    Hello,

I'm an AS level student in Northern Ireland and I want to study psychology at uni, either in Northern Ireland or in England. My top two choices are Queens here in NI or Nottingham in England. Queens is ABB, Nottingham AAB for me (AAA without psychology or other accepted subject). As I'm a NI resident if I go to a NI uni (i.e. Queens) my fees are close to 4k a year, a lot less than the 9k I would pay a year to go to Nottingham.

Before deciding on psychology I was considering law (hated work experience) so my way of thinking the past few years is if I get amazing grades I should head to one of the better universities for law, i.e. Oxford, and disregard Queens which was pretty far down on the league table and had lesser entry requirements.

Is this the same for psychology? Does it look better where I go? I know I'll get the same degree out of it but I just want to know if people look closely at the uni, because Queens would be a better choice for me as it is cheaper and I do need to save for my postgrad degree, which I have to do in England (no unis on the island of Ireland do forensic psychology postgrad). Thanks!
    It depends really. I don't think there is a huge difference between Nottingham and Queens (I don't know much about Queens though), and i probably wouldn't go in more debt for that difference. I would probably pay more to go to Oxbridge - since they have substantially better teaching than other universities (since they can fund much more teaching for undergraduates with their large endowments).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    It depends really. I don't think there is a huge difference between Nottingham and Queens (I don't know much about Queens though), and i probably wouldn't go in more debt for that difference. I would probably pay more to go to Oxbridge - since they have substantially better teaching than other universities (since they can fund much more teaching for undergraduates with their large endowments).
    Oxford (my preference out of Oxbridge) is an A*AA so I was planning on putting it on my UCAS application as the one I may accept if I get amazing grades that I'm not exactly expecting. However I know nothing about applying to Oxford as I've never gone to those preparation meetings in school. Do you know much about it or should I go hunting around this website? Thanks so much for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at Oxford - I don't think my 3 A's, 4 B's and 1 C will go down too well, even if they do understand people tend to bloom later on (as I believe is the case with me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachellemon)
    Just looked at Oxford - I don't think my 3 A's, 4 B's and 1 C will go down too well, even if they do understand people tend to bloom later on (as I believe is the case with me).
    Might still be worth applying, if you have AS grades that are good enough (they look at the percentages closer). I applied to cambridge without even visiting beforehand, there's not much to learn from those visits.

Its worth bearing in mind that although you may get into more debt by applying to a more expensive university, it wont affect if you can afford a masters, since you don't have to pay back any of that debt until your earning, and you only pay it back in full once you've got a decent wage... Saying that there's no point spending a lot more money on a slightly better degree !

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is pointless, study something else

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.