LoveToSki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all!
I'm in fifth year, about to chose my sixth year subjects. This year I took Highers in
Biology
Chemistry
English
Maths
Physics
And I'm predicted to get 5 A's which is good as I want to study veterinary, preferably in a Scottish uni. I'm stuck for what subjects to take next year though. I definitely want to take
Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Chemistry
And also Higher Geography which I took in fourth year. However I'm not sure if I should take Advanced Higher Maths too, as I feel it would be good for a backup plan and also I feel it is expected of me as a 5 A student. But I'm worried 3 AHs and a Higher would be crazy!
Also, any advice for veterinary in general would be WONDERFUL!!!
Thanks in advance Image
Rainbownightlock
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LoveToSki)
Hi all!
I'm in fifth year, about to chose my sixth year subjects. This year I took Highers in
Biology
Chemistry
English
Maths
Physics
And I'm predicted to get 5 A's which is good as I want to study veterinary, preferably in a Scottish uni. I'm stuck for what subjects to take next year though. I definitely want to take
Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Chemistry
And also Higher Geography which I took in fourth year. However I'm not sure if I should take Advanced Higher Maths too, as I feel it would be good for a backup plan and also I feel it is expected of me as a 5 A student. But I'm worried 3 AHs and a Higher would be crazy!
Thanks in advance Image
I don't think that doing those subjects in 6th year would be too hectic as long as you can be bothered and stay motivated. However, if you were to do 3 subjects instead of the 4 then I'd suggest that you stick with Higher Geography. The reason I'm saying this is that universities would like to see that you've branched out from more technical subjects like maths.
Good luck! :^_^:
CanineVet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all!
Biology
Chemistry
English
Maths
Physics
Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Chemistry
Thanks in advance Image
Hey there! I'm a 6th year student that's applied for veterinary medicine this year! I took Higher Bio, Chem, English, Geo and Maths last year and got 5 A's and I took AH Bio, Chem, Maths and crash Higher Physics this year. From my experience, I must say that 3 AHs and a Higher is a lot of work, even the above average person would struggle with this. It all depends on your subject choices though: AH Biology and Chemistry are a must for vet med and you already have physics which is great! The rest is up to you. If you apply to only scottish unis and are successful at getting an interview and, subsequently, an offer you will be asked to get BB in bio and chem only (unless they change it next year which is unlikely). AH Maths is a lot of work and I am in the process of dropping it right now as I have two offers for vet med currently and neither require maths and this subject is far too difficult for me despite being really good at it at Higher level (believe me there is a huge jump). You could always try it out to start with and see how it goes and if it is too stressful you could drop subject X. Biology and Chemistry will take up a lot of your free time for your investigations which are worth a lot of your final grade so take that into consideration also when picking your subjects! Good luck with your exams this year anyway

On another note, I take it you have done/have arranged the relevant and required work experience to get in as once you obtain your grades this will be equally important!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LoveToSki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to try all four and if I start falling behind maths will be the one to go!
And yes I'm (hopefully) on track with the work experience side of things
CanineVet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to try all four and if I start falling behind maths will be the one to go!
And yes I'm (hopefully) on track with the work experience side of things
Sounds like a good idea! You might as well try and see what it's like but don't beat yourself up about it if you can't handle the workload; of course the workload is intense studying veterinary medicine at university but it's a whole different kettle of fish and you will never need to use complex numbers or the various types of differentiation and integration that you will learn at AH.

That's great cause that's the next essential thing after grades for vet med! Just remember to cover all the basics at least and you will be fine Best of luck with the application this Autumn, it will seem like the slowest 5 months of your life after it :laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.2%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (52)
20.8%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (27)
10.8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (76)
30.4%

Watched Threads