What's the point of voting UKIP if you want Britain to leave the EU? Watch

Barack Obama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The Tories are losing seats to UKIP, but UKIP have next to zero chance of gaining power. UKIP, then, could help Labour win the election which would stop the EU referendum which Cameron has promised from happening. This is so funny because UKIP supporters like to blame almost everything on the EU and immigrants, which ironically could stay because of THEM.
Ezisola
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Barack Obama)
The Tories are losing seats to UKIP, but UKIP have next to zero chance of gaining power. UKIP, then, could help Labour win the election which would stop the EU referendum which Cameron has promised from happening. This is so funny because UKIP supporters like to blame almost everything on the EU and immigrants, which ironically could stay because of THEM.
Last I looked; Labour were losing seats in the north to UKIP.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if a majority of voters vote for the conseratives, UKIP or greens collectively (these parties want a referendum) then, if labour won't give the people what they want, then they will receive almost universal condemnation for reverting to their old authoritarian ways
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ezisola)
Which seats did Labour loose to UKIP?
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you trust Cameron in offering an EU referendum? Because I don't. I don't see Labour winning the election this year and we're probably going to see a Tory-UKIP coalition or just a Tory majority. I don't mind the Tories winning. They're a better party than Labour.
Ezisola
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Which seats did Labour loose to UKIP?
Losing* verb. Current tense
Barack Obama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
Do you trust Cameron in offering an EU referendum? Because I don't. I don't see Labour winning the election this year and we're probably going to see a Tory-UKIP coalition or just a Tory majority. I don't mind the Tories winning. They're a better party than Labour.
I don't vote Tory but, if I did, I'd trust Cameron on this one. The Tories have made a huge fuss out of the fact that they're offering a referendum for 2017 in their campaigning so I'd be very surprised if they didn't go through with it.

Personally, I'll be suprised if the Tories win this election. They haven't won one since 1992.
UKIP are a threat to Labour, that is perfectly true, but only the Tories have been affected so far....
dandaman098
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
Ukip will win 10 seats max as far as i can tell. heck in 1983 the lib/sdp alliance had 24% of the vote and got around 12 seats so ukip can only hope to do that good.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think UKIP could get up to 20 seats but will fall apart once they are in parliament and end up in factions since they are a party that are against things like the EU rather than for something so there is not enough to hold them together.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Losing* verb. Current tense
My bad
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
I think UKIP could get up to 20 seats but will fall apart once they are in parliament and end up in factions since they are a party that are against things like the EU rather than for something so there is not enough to hold them together.
They're very similar to the SNP in Scotland in that regard. Yet, appreciating their common purpose, the SNP have been the most outwardly unified significant party in the UK. Politicians in populist nationalist parties can pretty much swallow anything.

The danger might be from the Tory defectors in the Commons, who have been allowed a great deal of independence since shifting to UKIP. They may try to have that culture continue after the general election.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't vote UKIP, but the OPs argument is flawed.

An awful lot of people simply do not trust David Cameron on the EU. If some people vote UKIP, it puts a lot of pressure on a government to act on the EU issue. If people continue to vote Conservative because of their EU promises, the Conservatives don't have as much pressure and incentive to act than if some of their members switch their allegiance to UKIP. And without pressure from UKIP, the Conservatives could take votes for granted.

If UKIP perform well in the General election, whichever party is in power will be under pressure to act on the EU issue and will not be able to ignore it. e.g. If the Conservatives get in they'll have to do well with their negotiation and referendum plan or risk losing more votes to UKIP.
faxensis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok.so one parliament of labour means the issue will die lolll...

ukip will grow and the momentum towards us leaving the eu will grow.
Gos123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're forgetting that the SNP hurt Labour far more than the Tories hurt UKIP.
saayagain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If UKIP want to leave the EU, why don't they campaign to leave instead of having a referendum?

If the UK has a referendum and the people decide to stay in the EU, there purpose is rendered moot.
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by saayagain)
If UKIP want to leave the EU, why don't they campaign to leave instead of having a referendum?

If the UK has a referendum and the people decide to stay in the EU, there purpose is rendered moot.
I think to leave of the EU without giving a choice would go against the democratic insistance of UKIP. Though they recognise an equally significant amount of voters want to leave the EU, they are confident come the time the electorate will vote their way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1255194
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe the conservatives should do more to spell this out to the electorate

Posted from TSR Mobile
democracyforum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They can't get reform, they can't get change = no referendum.

And they certainly can't get a majority government.

Conservatives = no referendum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed