Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in my A2 year...have six exams in June and still lots of work to do. I've got a place at Bristol, York, Warwick or Nottingham if I get between AA and AB. Problem is in January I met a guy and at first we barely saw each other. I'm in my early 20s, so going to be attending uni as mature student, he's in his late 20s and owns his own business, so his time if flexible. Recently he's been asking to see more and more of me and I'm getting really stressed at the thought of getting behind with my work and possibly not getting into my first choice uni all because of a relationship that could be over by summer. Yet I don't want to break-up and I really like him. I'm going to be studying for the next 3 years, so unless I want to spend the whole 3 years boyfriendless, I'm going to have to find a balance somehow. It feels impossible at the moment though and I can't imagine seeing him 2-3 times a week whilst studying 7-8 hours a day.

I care about him a lot, but my stress is impeding on our time together

ReputationRep:
    You study 7-8 hours a day? Isn't that a little overboard?

Try talking to him and tell him that you feel that you're kind of constricted in when and how long you can meet him for. He'll probably understand.

(Original post by Protégé)
    You study 7-8 hours a day? Isn't that a little overboard?

Try talking to him and tell him that you feel that you're kind of constricted in when and how long you can meet him for. He'll probably understand.
    About 5 normally; 7-8 when I'm revising.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you studying that long for A-levels? You'll probably achieve less by studying too much.

(Original post by jakeel1)
    Why are you studying that long for A-levels? You'll probably achieve less by studying too much.
    I'm self-taught so this isn't on top of college time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm self-taught so this isn't on top of college time.
    I think the recommended amount is about 20 hours a week for 3 a levels, although it's an entirely arbitrary measurement which varies with ability, subject and the skill with which one revises, repetition will work of course as it will commit it to memory, but more than length is the way one practices, and if one practices for too long it might take a toll on your health that leads to diminishing returns.

If you take pleasure in it, it's a different thing entirely of course.

What are you studying?

(Original post by jakeel1)
    I think the recommended amount is about 20 hours a week for 3 a levels, although it's an entirely arbitrary measurement which varies with ability, subject and the skill with which one revises, repetition will work of course as it will commit it to memory, but more than length is the way one practices, and if one practices for too long it might take a toll on your health that leads to diminishing returns.

If you take pleasure in it, it's a different thing entirely of course.

What are you studying?
    Doing Government & Politics in one year and A2 Philosophy, which I guess is roughly the equivalent of 3 A-Levels.

I'd guess I do around 30 hours a week, but I have a poor sleep routine due to bad health so sometimes it ends up being done at odd times. There always seems an endless amount of reading to do.

ReputationRep:
    My college recommends 20 hours a week of revision..

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.