username1332991
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys,
Unfortunately I have been cursed with a terrible teacher for aqa AS economics and regardless of how many times I ask him he doesn't seem to help me, so I'm looking for help.

I was wondering any revision tips for AQA AS economics you have and how to tackle the 25 multiple choice and the essay questions for both Micro and Macro. I have been doing past papers and am okay at the multiple choice. But UTTERLY FAILING at the the whole of section B. Please help, any tips, tricks or ways of answering section B?

Thank you!
BC95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Crapateducation)
Hey guys,
Unfortunately I have been cursed with a terrible teacher for aqa AS economics and regardless of how many times I ask him he doesn't seem to help me, so I'm looking for help.

I was wondering any revision tips for AQA AS economics you have and how to tackle the 25 multiple choice and the essay questions for both Micro and Macro. I have been doing past papers and am okay at the multiple choice. But UTTERLY FAILING at the the whole of section B. Please help, any tips, tricks or ways of answering section B?

Thank you!
Hey there, I may be able to offer some help. I'm going to focus on Micro.

8 Marker: Easy way to get full marks on this question is to find any two of these:
  • Highest point
  • Lowest point
  • General trend over time period (Did X generally rise or fall over time period)

12 Marker:
  • Memories the demand + supply definitions and define them right away.
  • Learn how to shift demand and supply curves (There is no way around this part of the 12 marker)
  • Make sure you explain each step in the diagram

25 Marker (Here are the things to include to get top marks:
  • Definition (Minimum 2)
  • Application (Include quote or reference to extract)
  • Analysis (Use of diagrams of explanation of concepts)
  • Evaluation: This is important for top mark

For evaluation here is some general advice:

• When you bring in a new point immediately prioritise how important it is. Is it "most important" or is it "somewhat important or perhaps "trivial".

• Whenever you bring in a new point evaluate it by discussing the advantages and disadvantages

• Discuss what factors these advantages and disadvantages may depend on

Try this website for revision notes:

http://www.petragrade.com
username1332991
Rep:
?
(Original post by BC95)
Hey there, I may be able to offer some help. I'm going to focus on Micro.

8 Marker: Easy way to get full marks on this question is to find any two of these:
  • Highest point
  • Lowest point
  • General trend over time period (Did X generally rise or fall over time period)

12 Marker:
  • Memories the demand + supply definitions and define them right away.
  • Learn how to shift demand and supply curves (There is no way around this part of the 12 marker)
  • Make sure you explain each step in the diagram

25 Marker (Here are the things to include to get top marks:
  • Definition (Minimum 2)
  • Application (Include quote or reference to extract)
  • Analysis (Use of diagrams of explanation of concepts)
  • Evaluation: This is important for top mark

For evaluation here is some general advice:

• When you bring in a new point immediately prioritise how important it is. Is it "most important" or is it "somewhat important or perhaps "trivial".

• Whenever you bring in a new point evaluate it by discussing the advantages and disadvantages

• Discuss what factors these advantages and disadvantages may depend on

Try this website for revision notes:

http://www.petragrade.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH SERIOUSLY, you've helped me so much it makes much more sense now thank you
username1332991
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ifailedumad)
the only thing I will tell you is to read and practice as much as you can, not news, not these tips, but read these economics textbooks and get through with as many exam papers and markschemes as possible. remember economics is by far one of the easiest a levels but only if you read it, after reading and understanding, theres a little practice depending on your confidence level, but after that youre pretty much set for an a/a*

-mankiw micro and macroeconomics
-economics for dummies uk edition
-pindyck and rubenfield microeconomics
-krugman and wells economics

find these at a website called KAT

Thank you for the websites, great help
BC95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
THANK YOU SO MUCH SERIOUSLY, you've helped me so much it makes much more sense now thank you
Hello again, I'm glad I could be of some help to you.

That website I linked at the bottom I actually built myself.

It would be great if you could show some support by leaving a comment on this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post53097701
username1332991
Rep:
?

Hi again but you website doesnt seem to be working?
Curtis1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In essays for Econ 1 (micro)

You'd start with introducing generic market failure (e.g the misallocation of resources) and how the government must intervene to correct market failure.

Paragraph 1 - Explain the market failure involved eg Merit goods
You'd draw the diagram MSB>MPB and how they are underprovided between Q1-Q2

Paragraph 2 - explain what form of government intervention would work best eg Subsidies and then evaluate how effective the subsidy would be (eg elasticity of the product and the size of the subsidy)

PAragraph 3 - what if the government fails/why the free market is the best
I tend to do the government failure answer eg administration costs (how the cost involved is greater than the problem resolved)

Paragraph 4 evaluation eg WEESTEPS wider context, equit/equality etc etc

Oh and try and use application and some knowledge of the world around you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (25)
29.07%
No (61)
70.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed