The Student Room Group

Labour promises £6000 uni fees, does this call for a gap year???

Should I take a gap year and save myself £9-12000 over a course of a degree as labour promises to install this fee change in autumn 2016.
I'm already on a gap year (19y/o) but feel slight uncomfortable being a 20 year old first year...

Scroll to see replies

Labour are probably not going to win.
Reply 2
Original post by saludmte
Should I take a gap year and save myself £9-12000 over a course of a degree as labour promises to install this fee change in autumn 2016.
I'm already on a gap year (19y/o) but feel slight uncomfortable being a 20 year old first year...

This is all under the presumption that labour will actually win the election which is unlikely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

(not sure why they say that labour wont win because it is actually quite likely that they will.)

First of all you wouldn't be saving yourself 9-12k as you are never going to have that money in the first place. You might never repay the full amount and if you do you will earn enough to not care.
In addition, if you take one year out it will move you to your retirement age one year closer. Depending what your last year of your working life salary is, that is the amount you will lose out on when you take that gap year.

20 years old is old when you see how many of the first years 18 are.
Reply 4
Yeah, I mean, come on, look at how unlikely it is that labour will win the election, it's not like they're a big party or anything.

Look at these poll stats! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/poll-tracker
Terrible! There's no way they're going to win any seats with the majority of people backing them in opinion polls...

Answering your question, I'm applying for uni this year (year 13) and like you, I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable as a 20 year old applying for first year. Also, the uni you're applying to, perhaps depending on the course and uni itself, might want to know what you've been doing over two years (although they might not care - I'm not that well informed on the subject!)

Having said that, you would imagine that there are a significant number of people who apply for courses as graduates or when they're older anyway and obviously you'll still be meeting people in your age group. I shouldn't think it would make that much difference at all.

But anyway, would it make a difference, seeing as you pay for university per year anyway? That is to say, would you still be paying £9k a year throughout your course if you start in 2015 then fees are reduced to £6k a year in 2016?

I also imagine that if labour do get elected, they would follow up on this policy. There's no way that they can afford not to.
Original post by Lacdad
Yeah, I mean, come on, look at how unlikely it is that labour will win the election, it's not like they're a big party or anything.

Look at these poll stats! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/poll-tracker
Terrible! There's no way they're going to win any seats with the majority of people backing them in opinion polls...

Answering your question, I'm applying for uni this year (year 13) and like you, I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable as a 20 year old applying for first year. Also, the uni you're applying to, perhaps depending on the course and uni itself, might want to know what you've been doing over two years (although they might not care - I'm not that well informed on the subject!)

Having said that, you would imagine that there are a significant number of people who apply for courses as graduates or when they're older anyway and obviously you'll still be meeting people in your age group. I shouldn't think it would make that much difference at all.

But anyway, would it make a difference, seeing as you pay for university per year anyway? That is to say, would you still be paying £9k a year throughout your course if you start in 2015 then fees are reduced to £6k a year in 2016?

I also imagine that if labour do get elected, they would follow up on this policy. There's no way that they can afford not to.

ironic considering they introduced the fees
- Labour may not win the election
- I recall the Lib Dems promising to keep uni fees where they are or to lower them*

I honestly don't understand this stress that people have about the student fees debts. You don't pay the money back until you're earning at least 21k, and it's taken out of your salary before you see it, so it's hardly a terrible burden that you're going to end up having to set up JustGiving pages where you'll need to run marathons just to keep up repayments.

*I'm aware this is a very terrible comparison to make and the situations aren't comparable. ssh.
It won't happen anyway, even if they do win, they'll say it's destructive towards our economic recovery.
Reply 8
Original post by loperdoper
- I recall the Lib Dems promising to keep uni fees where they are or to lower them*

I honestly don't understand this stress that people have about the student fees debts. You don't pay the money back until you're earning at least 21k, and it's taken out of your salary before you see it, so it's hardly a terrible burden that you're going to end up having to set up JustGiving pages where you'll need to run marathons just to keep up repayments.

*I'm aware this is a very terrible comparison to make and the situations aren't comparable. ssh.

Exactly! Its the maintenance loan/grant system that needs to be reformed and I imagine this would cause more impact than the reduction of tuition fees from £9000 to £6000.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper

Yeah, okay, that was a terrible comparison. I'll let it go :P.

But I don't disagree with you. Paying back student loans isn't the worst thing, it's not the biggest issue, but as a student or perhaps, would-be student, university is going to be one of the biggest parts of your life for the next few years. Especially if you don't follow politics much, then having something like this would likely affect your decision quite greatly. You want to be saving as much money as you possibly can (yes, okay, you'll only be paying back a tiny percentage of it at a time and yes, of course you have to be earning over £21k a year, but the fact remains that you'll still have debts to pay!)
Reply 10
IF you dont want tuition fees you vote green :P
A better idea would be lower tuition fees from £9000 per year to £3000 per year and remove all grants and bursaries.
Reply 12
Original post by Knugs
IF you dont want tuition fees you vote green :P

If you want the UK to basically turn into Rwanda - vote Green.

There's only really any point if you plan on actually helping labour win is joining the party and coming out campaigning, not just voting for them...
Original post by Clip
If you want the UK to basically turn into Rwanda - vote Green.

Honestly even UKIP are a better option than the Greens.
Reply 15
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
It won't happen anyway, even if they do win, they'll say it's destructive towards our economic recovery.

How is it destructive to the economic recovery? It'd reduce the deficit over the until at least 2035.

I had a double gap year and was 20 in first year and it completely ruined my university experience. I know it's only a two year age difference but there's such a difference between being 18 and 20, your level of maturity changes a lot in those particular years of your life. I didn't get on with anyone, my desire to run down the street drunk in a toga had long gone by the time I started. I think if I was 18 or atmost 19 and clicked more with people around me I would have had so much more fun. However my course is very small and I didn't have many potential friends to choose from. It could be different for you.
Reply 17
Original post by jennaz77
I had a double gap year and was 20 in first year and it completely ruined my university experience. I know it's only a two year age difference but there's such a difference between being 18 and 20, your level of maturity changes a lot in those particular years of your life. I didn't get on with anyone, my desire to run down the street drunk in a toga had long gone by the time I started. I think if I was 18 or atmost 19 and clicked more with people around me I would have had so much more fun. However my course is very small and I didn't have many potential friends to choose from. It could be different for you.

****, the same thing happened to me too :frown:
Students need more cash on-hand during their studies, i couldn't give a damn what i have to pay afterwards.
Reply 19
Original post by Bobjim12
Students need more cash on-hand during their studies, i couldn't give a damn what i have to pay afterwards.

Really so if the maintence loan was raised to 10k per year but fees raised to £14k so they aren't subsidised, get rid of the income threshold and raise repayment to 20% and you'd be happy?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest