Physics Application Question for 2016 (S6 Subjects) Watch

caitybirdy23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Right now I'm picking my subjects for S6. I am aiming to get into a Physics course for uni but I'm unsure on subjects. Obviously AH Physics and AH Maths are a given, but which would a uni prefer, AH Chemistry or a crash H in Biology?
qno2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It probably doesn't matter too much what the actual subject is as long as its a proper rigorous subject. It's probably relevant to what you got in 5th year. What universities are your top choice(s) right now? Some universities have a preference for more highers rather than advanced highers but it should be fine; maths and physics are the important subjects.
caitybirdy23
Rep:
?
Probably Edinburgh, Glasgow or Strathclyde
qno2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It shouldn't matter for Strathclyde. Edinburgh and Glasgow do have a bit of a reputation for favouring extra huggers over advanced highers, Edinburgh in particular. This meaning that if you just missed the grades needed for an unconditional then your condition would likely be to get an A in a higher regardless of its relevance.
caitybirdy23
Rep:
?
(Original post by qno2)
It shouldn't matter for Strathclyde. Edinburgh and Glasgow do have a bit of a reputation for favouring extra huggers over advanced highers, Edinburgh in particular. This meaning that if you just missed the grades needed for an unconditional then your condition would likely be to get an A in a higher regardless of its relevance.
Do you know what the grades needed for an unconditional at Edinburgh are? So would they be less likely to accept you if you are sitting AH instead of a H?
qno2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by caitybirdy23)
Do you know what the grades needed for an unconditional at Edinburgh are? So would they be less likely to accept you if you are sitting AH instead of a H?
I believe its still a minimum of AAAA including maths and physics but it's not a guarantee. It's kinda dependant on how many good applications they get and stuff like that. The chance of getting an offer is probably the same either way just if your sitting an extra higher then your condition is most likely to be an A in that higher which could cause issue.
caitybirdy23
Rep:
?
(Original post by qno2)
I believe its still a minimum of AAAA including maths and physics but it's not a guarantee. It's kinda dependant on how many good applications they get and stuff like that. The chance of getting an offer is probably the same either way just if your sitting an extra higher then your condition is most likely to be an A in that higher which could cause issue.
Thanks for your help. I've talked to a few other people from my school in the year above since and I think I've decided on Chemistry. Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads