Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain to me genetic markers and replica plating as i'm looking through my books and every book says a different thing and i'm getting confused!! Bloody exams, i always leave it too late to revise and i;m in panic mode :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Replica plating?! Haven't done that I'm afraid (doing Edexcel) unless it's the same as the PCR (Polymerase chain reaction) technique used for producing more DNA for use in genetic fingerprinting etc?

ReputationRep:
    Woah Woah, those exams are on like the 9th of June aint they??

Replica plating is using a velvet pad to transfer bacteria from one agar plate to another, usually to test for resitances so antibiotics - therfore proving that bacteria have taken up modified plasmids.

Genetic Markers Im nooot so sure on, something to do with radioactive codons which attach during DNA replication so that certain sequences can be found??

Thats just off the top of my head if its any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    Can anyone explain to me genetic markers and replica plating as i'm looking through my books and every book says a different thing and i'm getting confused!! Bloody exams, i always leave it too late to revise and i;m in panic mode :eek:
    I have a DPhil (PhD) which includes yeast genetics. what exactly do you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savage Noodles)
    Replica plating is using a velvet pad to transfer bacteria from one agar plate to another, usually to test for resitances so antibiotics - therfore proving that bacteria have taken up modified plasmids.

Genetic Markers Im nooot so sure on, something to do with radioactive codons which attach during DNA replication so that certain sequences can be found??

Thats just off the top of my head if its any help
    Genetic markers are usually amino acids or other nutritional markers such as Adenine, Histidine, Uracil Leucine and a few others (tend species specific).

Replica plating involves making a 'copy' of your yeast or bacterial plate (usually on filter paper - velvit is a) expensive and b) tends to get contaminated) and then transfering these cells onto fresh plates, usually lacking each selective marker so you can see what you are looking for (i.e genes are usually knocked out in yeast with one of these markers. In fission yeast this tends to be Uracil. therefore if your cell grows on plates lacking uracil, you know you've knocked your gene out as this was done by insertinghte uracil gene into the middle of it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

Replica plating involves making a 'copy' of your yeast or bacterial plate (usually on filter paper - velvit is a) expensive and b) tends to get contaminated) and then transfering these cells onto fresh plates, usually lacking each selective marker so you can see what you are looking for (i.e genes are usually knocked out in yeast with one of these markers. In fission yeast this tends to be Uracil. therefore if your cell grows on plates lacking uracil, you know you've knocked your gene out as this was done by insertinghte uracil gene into the middle of it).
    Thats what I was going for in a more general A level answer kinda way You're a clever chappy (or girlie!!)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.