high-end university students, how did you acquire your critical thinking? Watch

serculis
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I always hear about how really good universities look at the way you think and whether it's creative and different from the common people. e.g. "are biology students better than physics students"
common people: "it depends/sometimes/yes/no"

critical thinking: "define 'better' "

Ok I admit that was a really easy example, but you get the point. People at such sophisticated universities have to have a different way of thinking. I'm curious because most things in regards to education comes from plain hard work and dedication, but I can't imagine 'acquiring' such way of thinking. I'm wondering, do you acquire this skill or have you always had it in you? If acquired, how?
Placeboo123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely not critical thinking A level
SEHughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Learn what logical fallacies are and read a lot.
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Read books about humanities e.g. philosophy, psychology, history, sociology. The ability to think clearly and critically to a certain extent comes naturally to some people, but it is an ability that can be acquired and improved upon by exposing yourself to material which requires that you think critically in order for you to comprehend it.

The ability to think clearly and critically is something which has always been natural to me (makes you appear a little odd when you ask such questions as an 8-year-old, though), but which has been improved by orders of magnitude through my recent study of philosophy.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha no, most of them got there because they studied hard or had good teachers. Critical thinking has little to do with it because most people with that skill are a bit lazy (it requires a lot more effort for them to get a low A* than a mid A so why try for the higher grade? as an example) so you usually end up with only a handful of them on each course.

As for acquiring that skill, do maths, stuff like substitution integration would help quite a lot I imagine, learn languages as that's known to improve cognitive abilities.
dredxn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) Good teachers
2) Observe. Observe the world and the people.
3) Ted talks / documetaries / speaches / movies / videogames (yes, videogames HELP) / books
4) Perspective! IT MATTERS. on absolutely everything specially in viewing the world from different perspectives, different lifestyles, ways of thinking and knowing different subjects, specially sciences like:
-physics or
-maths are VERY helpful.
5) Philisophy.
6) Being very competitive and good at something. Because being lazy wont make you think. Being with people that are competitive will make you a quicker thinker as you have the pressure of being better if not they will laugh (not as extreme as bullying) or whatever.
GenialGermanGent
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Student at/from top universities are better at critical thinking not because of the education they received there, but because of what got them into these universities: inherited intelligence, a good, intellectually stimulating upbringing, good teachers. A generous helping of cynicism doesn't hurt either.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by serculis)
I always hear about how really good universities look at the way you think and whether it's creative and different from the common people. e.g. "are biology students better than physics students"
common people: "it depends/sometimes/yes/no"

critical thinking: "define 'better' "

Ok I admit that was a really easy example, but you get the point. People at such sophisticated universities have to have a different way of thinking. I'm curious because most things in regards to education comes from plain hard work and dedication, but I can't imagine 'acquiring' such way of thinking. I'm wondering, do you acquire this skill or have you always had it in you? If acquired, how?
I'd say you can acquire it - isn't this is a skill which university is there to help you develop? We were always being told to define our terms, taught common fallacies, etc...
samantha.1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ritalin and Adderall improved my critical thinking ability tremendously. Helped me focus and take on much more information and improved by grades exponentially. You still have to do the hard work this just helps you and allows you to reach your limit.
Im sure many here will bang on about the harmful affects but that's a different discussion and one which is often filled with misinformation.
Speak with your doctor or better yet go private as they are more accommodating that the NHS and see if this is for you.
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There was a foreign man in an alley.

He did me very good deal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?