Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I know that at the arteriole end of a capillary bed the hydrostatic pressure is high due to ventricular systole so plasma is forced out to form tissue fluid. I also know that at the venule end the hydrostatic pressure is low and tissue fluid moves into the capillaries, but I'm really confused about the whole osmotic pressure thing....

In my booklet it says that the osmotic pressure stays the same and the hydrostatic pressure is just lower, but doesn't water leave the capillaries and lower their water potential and raise the water potential of the tissue fluid?

Basically I'm so confused about what osmotic pressure actually is and whether it stays the same and just how it's involved? Thaaaanks

ReputationRep:
    It was my understanding that osmotic pressure increased on the capillary because most of the water had been forced out, while the large molecules stayed in the capillary. Then at the venous end, the osmotic pressure adds to the hydrostatic pressure, which is why most of the tissue fluid re-enters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaiys)
    So I know that at the arteriole end of a capillary bed the hydrostatic pressure is high due to ventricular systole so plasma is forced out to form tissue fluid. I also know that at the venule end the hydrostatic pressure is low and tissue fluid moves into the capillaries, but I'm really confused about the whole osmotic pressure thing....

In my booklet it says that the osmotic pressure stays the same and the hydrostatic pressure is just lower, but doesn't water leave the capillaries and lower their water potential and raise the water potential of the tissue fluid?

Basically I'm so confused about what osmotic pressure actually is and whether it stays the same and just how it's involved? Thaaaanks
    Starling's forces is what you're referring to. Here are a few definitions you need to grasp first:

Hydrostatic pressure - the pressure driving fluid out of the capillary. This is 30mmHg at the arterial end of the capillary and 20mmHg at the venous end.

Oncotic pressure (also known as colloid osmotic pressure) - the pressure drawing fluid back into the capillary. This is 25mmHg.

So at the arterial end, the hydrostatic pressure is greater than the oncotic pressure (30mmHg vs 25mmHg) so there is net loss of fluid.

At the venous end, the oncotic pressure is greater than the hydrostatic pressure (25mmHg vs 20mmHg) so there is net reabsorption of fluid.

Personally, I find Starling's forces much more understandable with a simple diagram, so hopefully this will help:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Starling's forces is what you're referring to. Here are a few definitions you need to grasp first:

Hydrostatic pressure - the pressure driving fluid out of the capillary. This is 30mmHg at the arterial end of the capillary and 20mmHg at the venous end.

Oncotic pressure (also known as colloid osmotic pressure) - the pressure drawing fluid back into the capillary. This is 25mmHg.

So at the arterial end, the hydrostatic pressure is greater than the oncotic pressure (30mmHg vs 25mmHg) so there is net loss of fluid.

At the venous end, the oncotic pressure is greater than the hydrostatic pressure (25mmHg vs 20mmHg) so there is net reabsorption of fluid.

Personally, I find Starling's forces much more understandable with a simple diagram, so hopefully this will help:

Thanks so much! So the osmotic pressure doesn't actually change? So any water that enters/leaves the capillaries doesn't effect the osmotic pressure?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.