freedom of speech =/= freedom of hate Watch

sdvds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
yet, you'd( yes you reading this) would be ok* with muslims/jewslchirsitains being labelled terrorist, Zionist and Crusaders respectively.

A civilized society is not one that degrades and mocks its members

Be civil #Donthatedebate

*most probably
swanderfeild
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Freedom of speech by definition includes freedom to hate provided said hate does not incite violence against the targets. Conversely people also have freedom to criticize those who exercise freedom to hate.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unless they're encouraging violence against individuals/specific groups I don't see a problem.

I think some of Britain's and wider Europe's laws that encroach on what should be free speech are utterly ridiculous.
glacier fruit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, I'm fed up with the whole malarkey.

We've got 15 year olds being labelled "jihadi brides" with the media using words like "radicalised" to describe them. When 15 year olds were being targeted by those gangs in Rochdale they were seen as being "groomed" and widely seen as victims and vulnerable children.

Why aren't the so called "jihadi brides" being seen the same way? 15 is such a young age, it doesn't matter how academically well you're doing, 15 is still too young to make such a big life changing decision on your own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
michael90cr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is a problem that some people feel they have a right not to be offended. People hate statements that they don't agree with, Shakespeare's plays would be fought to be banned by groups like feminists if they were released tomorrow, Churchill had very traditional views for his time and was the exact sort of 'elite' that people complain about today. Just because one person views it as hate or offensive should never stop someone from saying it. I agree with the law in the since that there are limits, harassment, encouraging violence, revealing certain types of state secrets( e.g.flaws in defence). But am holistically against limits on offence or hate. People should be able to be part of extremist groups as long as they don't commit or incite violence. Without freedom to hate or offend debate of all kinds would be muted
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by glacier fruit)
Honestly, I'm fed up with the whole malarkey.

We've got 15 year olds being labelled "jihadi brides" with the media using words like "radicalised" to describe them. When 15 year olds were being targeted by those gangs in Rochdale they were seen as being "groomed" and widely seen as victims and vulnerable children.

Why aren't the so called "jihadi brides" being seen the same way? 15 is such a young age, it doesn't matter how academically well you're doing, 15 is still too young to make such a big life changing decision on your own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
errrmmm. Excuse me for pointing out that for decades the Rochdale, Oxford, Nottingham etc. girls were ignored by the authorities and public for bringing their sexual exploitation problem on themselves.

That is why the gangs of paedo's managed to evade justice for all that time.

It was only hours (literally) after the Bethnal Green girls were reported missing that the police said they would not face charges or be arrested if they returned to the UK.

Some people have a very selective memory and seem to like portraying themselves as victims. Get over it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (84)
46.41%
Pro-humanity (97)
53.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise