Turn on thread page Beta

internet question. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If I'm connected to a wifi, can the owner of the network see I have been connected? What about if I delete the network connection, so that I no longer have access to it, can it still be seen that I've been connected to it or is it just when I have access to it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's possible. I've seen home routers which can display a list of names of computers that have connected to the wifi, as well as whether they are currently active.

It would depend on the specific equipment as to what level of detail is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The owner wouldn't get any notification to you connecting to their internet (No emails or anything), but however if he logs into his default gateway and looks in the advanced area of the wifi section, he will see your phone/laptop/computer local IP address (also known as the IPv4 address). This is usually a number like

192.168.0._ with the last number being randomised. If he's advanced in his knowledge he would know that none of his devices do not correlate to that IPv4 address, but if he does spot it, there isn't a way for him to find out what device is the IPV4 address (He won't know what device it was connected to it) hence he won't know it's you.

Chances are, you're absolutely fine but you should always ask the owner of the network before connecting to it for permission. It can actually be illegal to connect to a wifi without the administrators permission but the answer varies depending on the policies of residential internet service providers and plans among other factors.

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QCube)
    The owner wouldn't get any notification to you connecting to their internet (No emails or anything), but however if he logs into his default gateway and looks in the advanced area of the wifi section, he will see your phone/laptop/computer local IP address (also known as the IPv4 address). This is usually a number like

192.168.0._ with the last number being randomised. If he's advanced in his knowledge he would know that none of his devices do not correlate to that IPv4 address, but if he does spot it, there isn't a way for him to find out what device is the IPV4 address (He won't know what device it was connected to it) hence he won't know it's you.

Chances are, you're absolutely fine but you should always ask the owner of the network before connecting to it for permission. It can actually be illegal to connect to a wifi without the administrators permission but the answer varies depending on the policies of residential internet service providers and plans among other factors.

Hope this helped!
    Yes and if you don't want them to know who you are, you could change your device name to something generic. In some cases this is more secure because it disconnects who you are as a person from what laptop you are using e.g. if I am connected to the WIFI using a Dell Model X Laptop and that is the name of the device (laptop) then the network admin (or hacker) will easily figured out who I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxstudent)
    Yes and if you don't want them to know who you are, you could change your device name to something generic. In some cases this is more secure because it disconnects who you are as a person from what laptop you are using e.g. if I am connected to the WIFI using a Dell Model X Laptop and that is the name of the device (laptop) then the network admin (or hacker) will easily figured out who I am.
    I'm confused the guy above says a name won't come up, just a IPv4 address (numbers) but you're saying it will come up with the name of my device? So because I have a Nokia phone, when I connect to that wifi, the owner can look and it will show that a 'Nokia' phone is connected, is that correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leccyspark)
    If I'm connected to a wifi, can the owner of the network see I have been connected? What about if I delete the network connection, so that I no longer have access to it, can it still be seen that I've been connected to it or is it just when I have access to it?
    Depends if the system owner is a ****, like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leccyspark)
    I'm confused the guy above says a name won't come up, just a IPv4 address (numbers) but you're saying it will come up with the name of my device? So because I have a Nokia phone, when I connect to that wifi, the owner can look and it will show that a 'Nokia' phone is connected, is that correct?
    I'm pretty sure most home networks don't have a translation to what device it is to show. Just shows an IPv4 address.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.