I'm 14... Should I take highers this year? Watch

dramafreak13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm going into S4 after the summer, and I have to choose my subjects this week. But they don't fit, as usual. My problem is that I COULD fit all of my subjects in if I took Nat 5 physics, mod studs, maths and English, but then French, my favourite subject doesn't fit. Neither does chemistry.

SO. I've spoken to my French teacher and he thinks I'll be able to pass higher french next year with an A, if I work hard, and then I'll just drop chemistry and take up crash german.

All I want to know is, will a higher be too difficult, stress/study-wise for me at the moment? I'll only have 4 periods of French instead of five, to start with. And also, if I take a crash nat 5 german, which I've never studied before, will THAT be too difficult, combined with my h. French?

This is so confusing! Hopefully someone here can honestly just tell me if it will be seriously stressful or not!

cheers
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends how easily you get stressed. There's plenty of time throughout the year for studying anyway, just make sure you start earlier and you should be fine.
dramafreak13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Pennyarcade)
Depends how easily you get stressed. There's plenty of time throughout the year for studying anyway, just make sure you start earlier and you should be fine.
Thanks. I just needed to hear it from someone other than myself! I'm an average sort of stress-level person so I think I'll be fine. Cheers!
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Overloading yourself isnt a great idea because you want to make sure that you get the highest grades possible in all your subjects, which can be difficult if you are doing too much. When you are 21 years old you wont care whether you took Higher French, but you'll certainly care if you messed up your academic career by getting bad grades.

Are you in a position where you could just study French outside school (not for a qualification, purely for fun), for example by attending language classes or taking private lessons? You dont need to be studying foreign languages academically in order to learn them; if you told your parents that you wanted to learn French/German in your spare time and asked for private lessons then they might be happy to provide them.
Ecasx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dramafreak13)
I'm going into S4 after the summer, and I have to choose my subjects this week. But they don't fit, as usual. My problem is that I COULD fit all of my subjects in if I took Nat 5 physics, mod studs, maths and English, but then French, my favourite subject doesn't fit. Neither does chemistry.

SO. I've spoken to my French teacher and he thinks I'll be able to pass higher french next year with an A, if I work hard, and then I'll just drop chemistry and take up crash german.

All I want to know is, will a higher be too difficult, stress/study-wise for me at the moment? I'll only have 4 periods of French instead of five, to start with. And also, if I take a crash nat 5 german, which I've never studied before, will THAT be too difficult, combined with my h. French?

This is so confusing! Hopefully someone here can honestly just tell me if it will be seriously stressful or not!

cheers
Do it! Your enjoyment of French shouldn't make it too difficult to learn on your own.

It is also rare to see a teacher that encourages you to do a Higher early. They must believe in your ability.
kieron4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've already left a more detailed reply on your other thread, but my advice is just do it.

Hope it works out for you
rachelmoyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was younger than most people when I started highers, but I find that I'm coping fine. Obviously our situations are slightly different since you'll only be in S4 and I am S5 but if you feel capable then why not? I think you're lucky to have the option of taking highers in S4 as it means you'll have a wider range of qualifications when entering university, which is great. If you and your teachers both think you can manage this and get good grades at the end of the day, then I'd definitely say do it. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (953)
79.95%
Leave (239)
20.05%

Watched Threads