The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are most likely to clash?

I'm currently in Year 10 and am intrigued by which GCSEs tend to clash each year. At the moment, I'm currently taking Cie English First Language, AQA English Literature, Edexcel Maths, AQA Core and Additional Science, OCR Philosophy and Ethics, OCR French, WJEC Sociology, BCS ICT and Performing Arts (don't know which examining board, but it might be AQA).
Do subjects from the same examination board have a highly possibility or not?
Reply 1
Original post by CharmingCat
I'm currently in Year 10 and am intrigued by which GCSEs tend to clash each year. At the moment, I'm currently taking Cie English First Language, AQA English Literature, Edexcel Maths, AQA Core and Additional Science, OCR Philosophy and Ethics, OCR French, WJEC Sociology, BCS ICT and Performing Arts (don't know which examining board, but it might be AQA).
Do subjects from the same examination board have a highly possibility or not?

The domestic exam boards (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR & WJEC) collaborate to produce a common timetable, agreeing which sessions they will put different subjects in in order to minimise clashes, so they will all have, say, Geography GCSE on the same day (though at GCSE they only agree to 'science' sessions rather than Biology etc specifically). They also avoid religious festivals. It's produced in draft for comment during the summer and finalised in September.

They have learnt from past data which subjects are rarely taken together and so tend to timetable them against each other - e.g. A level Chemsitry and Media Studies always clash. They do seem to have made a mess of the GCSE German/Computing/Add maths/Geography day this year, possibly because they had under-estimated the massive rise in people taking GCSE Computing.

Quick Reply

Latest