The Student Room Group

Is a serious relationship problem an extenuating circumstance for doing badly?

So these are the details - I've known my boyfriend since I was seven (obviously we were dumb kiddish friends then) and had been dating him from age 14 till 16. In the May of my GCSE year, he (he was 18) he passed away due to underage drug addiction and a subsequent overdose. It was quite a big tragedy for his school, and for me, hence, my academics suffered. I had taken 10 IGCSE subjects, and predicted 9A (the 10th subject was as a private candidate), but due to this I only managed to receive 5A (2A* in English and English Lit, 3As), 4Bs and one D.
I've taken a gap year to shake it off and am now approaching my AS Levels. I'm doing well in sixth form, and am predicted AAAA.

I don't want to get into Oxford, but a decent uni, but I'm a little worried because of the GCSE. My referee said she could write the circumstances, but I'm not sure if such a small problem could be considered as extenuating circumstances.

Thoughts?
Seeing as most 'decent' universities generally request that you have 5 A-C GCSEs, I don't really see the problem with your results. For some reason, a lot of GCSE students seem to think they need a million A*s or they're stupid. That being said, I don't remember GCSEs coming up in the requirements for nearly every place I researched. I think it depends on your course, but it's typically the level 3 qualifications they worry about so I think you should be fine.
Sorry for your loss. I don't really think it was a small problem but I'd probably try and avoid putting it in any reference.
For you, the death of your boyfriend was the death of a family member. I am sure that if your referee words it correctly (as not to say that he was your boyfriend for two weeks or whatever, and he was a long term family member) then it will be fine.
Original post by sliceofcake
Seeing as most 'decent' universities generally request that you have 5 A-C GCSEs, I don't really see the problem with your results. For some reason, a lot of GCSE students seem to think they need a million A*s or they're stupid. That being said, I don't remember GCSEs coming up in the requirements for nearly every place I researched. I think it depends on your course, but it's typically the level 3 qualifications they worry about so I think you should be fine.
Sorry for your loss. I don't really think it was a small problem but I'd probably try and avoid putting it in any reference.

This is generally true. Most unis ask for A* - C in Maths, English and Science and depending on where you go and the course, possibly a few other GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending