The Student Room Group

How to memorise case studies ?

I just can't seem to remember all my case studies! How on earth shall I remember 10 case studies all at once both from physical and human geography! It's really hard! I need help!

Please it's truly letting me down a lot and my teacher told me I need to memorise them
Reply 1
I'm in a similar position now as I've left all of my case studies for AS Geography to memorise 3 days before my mock! :banghead:

So to start with you need to organise the points from the book so you understand them, whether that's taking notes or I'd suggest a mind map as it's the fastest way to organise everything in your words. Read over it a few times, making sure you understand everything.

Next you need to memorise it, I do this by firstly making flash cards to make everything as concise as possible and then I say it out loud without the cards. After you think you've got it READ OVER the flash cards and mind map, you need to keep repeating it to make it stick in your memory. Try to recall the facts in an hour, at the end of the day and then as often as possible before the exam.

That's how I manage it, memorising case studies is the worst part of geography! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
What always worked well from me is something called a chain of condensing.

Basically, go through your case study and write it all down. Then, try and halve the amount of words you're using (condense the notes from 2 sides of A4 to 1). Then halve it again! Not only is it a lot easier to revise from (as with the flash cards above), but I also found that reading the shortened version reminded me of what was written on the one side of A4, which in turn reminded me of the information on the 2 sides!

Good luck, case studies universally suck (luckily we don't really have them at degree) :smile:
I write them out on little Q cards and then read them then wrote them out over and over again, i know it's really boring. :smile: Good luck and ensure that you know the stats as I lost a mark which made me get a B instead of an A in a mini mock exam as I said 30% rather than 33%
Original post by Pinkpearl14
I just can't seem to remember all my case studies! How on earth shall I remember 10 case studies all at once both from physical and human geography! It's really hard! I need help!
Please it's truly letting me down a lot and my teacher told me I need to memorise them

They'll be spilt up into sections. For instance earthquakes will have four sections: Primary Effects, Secondary Effects, Short-term responses, Long-term responses. A question could ask about the case study in general which will be your bigger 8 mark extended response questions. Or just one section e.g. worldwide effects of a supervolcanic eruption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending