The Student Room Group

What makes a maths degree so difficult?

I did A-level maths and found it pretty easy, just doing past paper after past paper.
Im assuming this method doesn't work at degree level as many people say maths is as hard a degree that you can do and I was just wondering what the differences are? Is it more about the understanding than the actual doing?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Degree maths is more about understanding whereas a levels were just remembering how to answer questions tbh.

At my uni we only get like 3 past papers and we don't get full solutions for them, so you can't just hammer the past papers for uni.

But tbh uni maths is a lot better than a levels, I'm getting much higher grades now than I did during a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
Degree maths is more about understanding whereas a levels were just remembering how to answer questions tbh.

At my uni we only get like 3 past papers and we don't get full solutions for them, so you can't just hammer the past papers for uni.

But tbh uni maths is a lot better than a levels, I'm getting much higher grades now than I did during a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Thanks for the reply:smile:
Reply 4
While university maths tries to focus much more on the underlying constructs, knowing how to do all the past papers and tutorial questions is a pretty safe bet on a high grade. Some lecturers have a reputation for setting harder than average exams while others are known to take last year's paper and altering it slightly. A lot of it is relative to you as an individual though.
Reply 5
After graduating with a bsc in maths do I have to take a further year to do finance if I wanted to go that route

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it's more understanding and concepts are much more abstract especially pure mathematics. A lot of work needs to go into understanding theorems and results with clarity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Is a maths with finance a good degree regarding job prospects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by The Wavefunction
I did A-level maths and found it pretty easy, just doing past paper after past paper.
Im assuming this method doesn't work at degree level as many people say maths is as hard a degree that you can do and I was just wondering what the differences are? Is it more about the understanding than the actual doing?

At least in the pure courses, the focus changes to proving things, as opposed to learning more complicated techniques. The C and FP A-Level units aren't really pure maths - they are really "methods" courses. You'll still have a few of these in the first couple of years at uni, but pure very much becomes the focus.

In pure courses, you learn "why" things work. In your first few lectures you might prove there are infinitely many primes, or why there are "more" irrational numbers than rational numbers. You will also learn in great detail why calculus works in Analysis courses.

No matter how good you are, the speed of the course will get to you eventually. Of course, when this is depends on your individual talent and how demanding your course is. One thing that struck me was that in my first week one 50 minute lecture summarised all of the FP2 and FP3 calculus. If you didn't study further maths (and plenty didn't when I went to uni), that was all you got. It only got faster from there.

No matter how good you are, at some point you will get stuck. That's because maths is hard. It has taken humanity millenia to learn as much as it has now. But for you, if you're faced with an unseen problem, you still have to figure out how to solve it yourself. It's almost unheard of for people (at the best universities) to get 100% in an exam.

You will have to learn to be rigorous and logical. This is because a mathematical proof is, almost by definition, rigorous and logical. You will need to be able to spot likely ways to prove something new because in an exam you should be asked to solve an unseen problem.

Maths lectures take a while to get used to, not least because the quality of the lecturers will massively vary. Some of that is just personal preference - you're going to get on with some styles more than others. But every maths grad will have a story of a nightmare lecturer who you couldn't understand / couldn't help falling asleep in the lectures.

No one spoon feeds you. If you don't understand something, tough. You have to essentially figure it out yourself. Good courses should have support mechanisms but you will be forced to work independently through your difficulties. You will get problem sheets, which you can think of as homework except most questions will be rock hard. Ib my experience, you don't get "drills" (i.e. 50 questions to solve very similar problems to hone your technique). I guess the theory is, if you understand something you don't need to solve the same type of problem twice.

You will lose motivation at some point in your degree. That's either from boredom (many people realise they didn't like maths after all), frustration (you can spend ages thinking about a problem and get nowhere), or burn-out (three / four years is a pretty serious chunk of your life!). Hopefully you'll get over it, but mark my words, you won't always be as enthusiastic as you might be at the start.

In the later parts of the degree, you are learning relatively new mathematics. Most of the stuff that I learnt in my final year was less than 50 years old. If you think about it, your children will probably learn very different maths than you if they're crazy enough to do one. Some fourth year courses are actually "research seminars" in disguise, where you get to learn some cutting edge stuff. The problem with that is that no one has bothered to consolidate everything so that is nice and neat to learn from.
Original post by shamika
At least in the pure courses, the focus changes to proving things, as opposed to learning more complicated techniques. The C and FP A-Level units aren't really pure maths - they are really "methods" courses. You'll still have a few of these in the first couple of years at uni, but pure very much becomes the focus.

In pure courses, you learn "why" things work. In your first few lectures you might prove there are infinitely many primes, or why there are "more" irrational numbers than rational numbers. You will also learn in great detail why calculus works in Analysis courses.

No matter how good you are, the speed of the course will get to you eventually. Of course, when this is depends on your individual talent and how demanding your course is. One thing that struck me was that in my first week one 50 minute lecture summarised all of the FP2 and FP3 calculus. If you didn't study further maths (and plenty didn't when I went to uni), that was all you got. It only got faster from there.

No matter how good you are, at some point you will get stuck. That's because maths is hard. It has taken humanity millenia to learn as much as it has now. But for you, if you're faced with an unseen problem, you still have to figure out how to solve it yourself. It's almost unheard of for people (at the best universities) to get 100% in an exam.

You will have to learn to be rigorous and logical. This is because a mathematical proof is, almost by definition, rigorous and logical. You will need to be able to spot likely ways to prove something new because in an exam you should be asked to solve an unseen problem.

Maths lectures take a while to get used to, not least because the quality of the lecturers will massively vary. Some of that is just personal preference - you're going to get on with some styles more than others. But every maths grad will have a story of a nightmare lecturer who you couldn't understand / couldn't help falling asleep in the lectures.

No one spoon feeds you. If you don't understand something, tough. You have to essentially figure it out yourself. Good courses should have support mechanisms but you will be forced to work independently through your difficulties. You will get problem sheets, which you can think of as homework except most questions will be rock hard. Ib my experience, you don't get "drills" (i.e. 50 questions to solve very similar problems to hone your technique). I guess the theory is, if you understand something you don't need to solve the same type of problem twice.

You will lose motivation at some point in your degree. That's either from boredom (many people realise they didn't like maths after all), frustration (you can spend ages thinking about a problem and get nowhere), or burn-out (three / four years is a pretty serious chunk of your life!). Hopefully you'll get over it, but mark my words, you won't always be as enthusiastic as you might be at the start.

In the later parts of the degree, you are learning relatively new mathematics. Most of the stuff that I learnt in my final year was less than 50 years old. If you think about it, your children will probably learn very different maths than you if they're crazy enough to do one. Some fourth year courses are actually "research seminars" in disguise, where you get to learn some cutting edge stuff. The problem with that is that no one has bothered to consolidate everything so that is nice and neat to learn from.

This was excellent, thank you! I think a lot of translates to other degrees, or atleast in my case with chemistry.
I never studied the pure element of maths at A-level, just the core, stats and mechanics.
I know this guy at Cambridge doing maths, in his third year and apparently he's just losing the plot with it.
Original post by Rhyno0809
After graduating with a bsc in maths do I have to take a further year to do finance if I wanted to go that route

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do Maths at a reputable university - Target/Semi-target, it should be fine to enter Finance. The firm will teach you. Albeit most Finance jobs require at most AS level maths.
Original post by The Wavefunction
I know this guy at Cambridge doing maths, in his third year and apparently he's just losing the plot with it.

:hello:
Reply 12
Original post by Smaug123
:hello:

Haha, I was going to say that description probably describes 80-90% of the cohort :lol:
If you know the answers, it's easy. If you don't, then it is hard.
Original post by shamika

Imperial College?
Original post by Necrofantasia
Imperial College?

University of East London?

Spoiler

Original post by shamika
University of East London?

Spoiler

I just wanted to know if you went to Imperial College, since I think I saw somewhere something that suggested you went to Imperial College.

Your post would be useful for me as a taste of what an Imperial College maths course is like from a student that's been there, assuming you wrote that out of your own experience as an undergraduate
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Necrofantasia
I just wanted to know if you went to Imperial College, since I think I saw somewhere something that suggested you went to Imperial College.

Your post would be useful for me as a taste of what an Imperial College maths course is like from a student that's been there, assuming you wrote that out of your own experience as an undergraduate

Oh right, I should've guessed I suppose. Yep I went to Imperial, graduated in 2007. It was indeed my experience of my degree. I think it's pretty similar for most unis though, not just COWI ones. Maybe not at UEL :tongue: (I shouldn't pick on UEL really, don't even know whether they offer maths!)
This is actually a great question but is one that I can't actually answer properly; I think it depends on so many factors. For instance, what university you go to does make a difference. Also, it depends on the person - the experience is subjective - because some people (by which I mean me) can't adapt very well to the change of pace or style.

Most of all though, I think what makes it difficult (it isn't a bad thing that it is difficult by the way! It should be!) is the sheer number of occasions you find yourself blankly staring at maybe one proof that is written amongst hundreds in your notes and spending hours trying to understand that minute section of it that makes no sense (argh!!). Or perhaps the issue is one of the problems on your problem sheet that has frustrated you for days. Indeed, this is probably what it is. But as I've said, that is a good thing: resilience cometh.
P.S. I have already lost the plot.

Quick Reply

Latest