Ideal First Diesel car: cheap, fast and economical.

Watch
U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I wanted to know which is the best first car to buy.
I`m looking for a 1.9L Diesel, fast but gives good milage. Any recommendations?.
ONLY DIESEL CARS. NOT PETROL, HYBRID OR LPG`s!!!!

Thanks
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I assume by 1.9 you mean you want a VAG pd block. There is a load of fantastic cars with this engine it just is entirely up to what you want. To list a few of the sporty ones.

Skoda Fabia VRS - I have one of these and would recommend
VW Polo GTD
VW Golf GTD
SEAT Ibiza FR/CUPRA diesel
Audi A3 1.9tdi

Not sure how old you are but if your under 25 with no experience insurance might be hefty on them but they are all fantatstic smallish cars for mile munching.
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by CAElite)
I assume by 1.9 you mean you want a VAG pd block. There is a load of fantastic cars with this engine it just is entirely up to what you want. To list a few of the sporty ones.

Skoda Fabia VRS - I have one of these and would recommend
VW Polo GTD
VW Golf GTD
SEAT Ibiza FR/CUPRA diesel
Audi A3 1.9tdi

Not sure how old you are but if your under 25 with no experience insurance might be hefty on them but they are all fantatstic smallish cars for mile munching.
Nice one. Yh I am 21. I`m looking for a good diesel car but not sure which one. Out of these cars which one would you recomend?. I`ve seen Vauxhall Vectra CDTi as well and saab 9-3. I have read reviews and a lot of people are saying Skoda Fabia VRS is good.
MrWhosane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by U33B)
Nice one. Yh I am 21. I`m looking for a good diesel car but not sure which one. Out of these cars which one would you recomend?. I`ve seen Vauxhall Vectra CDTi as well and saab 9-3. I have read reviews and a lot of people are saying Skoda Fabia VRS is good.
If getting a Vectra or Saab, only buy the 1.9 if it's had the flywheel and clutch recently changed, particularly on the 150PS versions.

I'm the local Vectra expert lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
U33B
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=MrWhosane;54014229]If getting a Vectra or Saab, only buy the 1.9 if it's had the flywheel and clutch recently changed, particularly on the 150PS versions.

LOL i`ll be following your advice then. So I should go for Vectra then?. But the insurance is over the roof. What if I buy a vectra or Saab but Put my dad as the main driver and me as a second?. Will that make any difference?
Thanks
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=U33B;54021875]
(Original post by MrWhosane)
If getting a Vectra or Saab, only buy the 1.9 if it's had the flywheel and clutch recently changed, particularly on the 150PS versions.

LOL i`ll be following your advice then. So I should go for Vectra then?. But the insurance is over the roof. What if I buy a vectra or Saab but Put my dad as the main driver and me as a second?. Will that make any difference?
Thanks
This is called fronting and it's illegal.

You said in your original post that you were wanting your first car - if it's yours then you'll presumably be the driver most of the time.

And therefore you need to be the main driver. If you can't afford the insurance on a car that you want, unfortunately you probably shouldn't buy that car.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A fast diesel? Rofl
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL, as if that's something to be proud of.

MrWhosane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
LOL, as if that's something to be proud of.

Lmfao haha

Nah I crashed one and repaired it so I got to know the mechanical side.

They are piles of **** but they not unreliable provided you don't get a battered one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lmfao haha

Nah I crashed one and repaired it so I got to know the mechanical side.

They are piles of **** but they not unreliable provided you don't get a battered one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough.

I can't help it, but the stereotypical Vectra driver is either the south asian taxi driver, or a meat head. Lol.
MrWhosane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough.

I can't help it, but the stereotypical Vectra driver is either the south asian taxi driver, or a meat head. Lol.
Lol stereotypical indeed, I was 17 when I had mine. I've actually still got it sorn and dumped on the drive. Some sort of monument it's become lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol stereotypical indeed, I was 17 when I had mine. I've actually still got it sorn and dumped on the drive. Some sort of monument it's become lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't you get rid of it? What do you drive now?
MrWhosane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why don't you get rid of it? What do you drive now?
I've got such a random car now lol, got a facelift B class

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425479228.163012.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  17.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got such a random car now lol, got a facelift B class

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425479228.163012.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  17.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
An MPV?? :eek:

It's like the reverse of a mid-life crisis, lmao.
username239687
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chukster97)
A fast diesel? Rofl
Something tells me you haven't driven a recent diesel.
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by U33B)
Hell i would recommend a Fabia VRS since i DID buy one myself as a daily . To be honest though for a quick diesel either the Fabia / SEAT Ibiza FR or Polo 9N GTD are all the exact same car underneath, Its really personal preference on how they look but they are all VAG cars with identical engines and running gear so you cant really go wrong. If you are wanting a fast diesel, unless you are going into 2.5L+ terratory get something small and light. Unless you are going to use the boot space or frequently carry 4 passengers a big hatch/saloon like a vectra or Golf is just needless weight. If you can afford to buy and insure it the 3.0L V6 TDI that you can get in the VW passat and Audi A4 is supposed to be fantastic. I've never driven it personally though.

Or y'know... One of these

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-car...3328?logcode=p
MrWhosane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An MPV?? :eek:

It's like the reverse of a mid-life crisis, lmao.
Lol yeah,
It's something comfortable. A nice car to use around the city.

Good of fuel too. 1.5 diesel, does about 65mpg which is good enough for me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
gazzagoalie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ford Mondeo 2.2L. does nearly 50MPG, and is fast. Only costs about £1000 to insure (which, to put it in perspective is only £250 more than my old 1.4L seat ibiza)
randomgeeza
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by U33B)
Hi I wanted to know which is the best first car to buy.
I`m looking for a 1.9L Diesel, fast but gives good milage. Any recommendations?.
ONLY DIESEL CARS. NOT PETROL, HYBRID OR LPG`s!!!!

Thanks
Don't get the 1.9 SDI Polo. I've got the 1.4 tdi Polo, it's not bad pretty nippy once the turbo kicks in but not for someone whos a speed demon. It's more for those who want a stable, economical car which is pretty easy to get to grips with.
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ToastyCoke)
Something tells me you haven't driven a recent diesel.
I have. They are dog **** slow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads