Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've lost a bit of work now because of this. It keeps resetting itself as if somebody has pressed the reset button does anybody have any idea what software fault my cause this?

I've test the switch and and thats fine, so I am guessing its either a power supply, motherboard or software fualt. Could it be some kind of virus?

ReputationRep:
    Overheating maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've lost a bit of work now because of this. It keeps resetting itself as if somebody has pressed the reset button does anybody have any idea what software fault my cause this?

I've test the switch and and thats fine, so I am guessing its either a power supply, motherboard or software fualt. Could it be some kind of virus?
    If it comes up with an error boxes before shutting down, you might have the sasser virus

ReputationRep:
    Any warning of a restart being inevtiable or is it just by itself. Could it be overheating? Maybe a memory problem.

ReputationRep:
    No it just resets, I am typing the the next literly second I get the POST screen as if I had just pressed the reset switch.

Its done it twice today now. This may not sound much but reliabiity is paramount I have lost about 30 minutes worth of work.

ReputationRep:
    Just been into the BIOS:

The CPU temperature is 53c, its an AMD Althlon 2000XP running at 1.66ghz.

I've just felt the heatsink and its dosn't feel hot at all so I am sure its not overheating.

ReputationRep:
    53 is very hot. Too hot. Try using your computer without the case on and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    53 is very hot. Too hot. Try using your computer without the case on and see what happens.
    I would suggest getting a big fan for your processor.

ReputationRep:
    Just been into the BIOS:

I've just felt the heatsink and its dosn't feel hot at all so I am sure its not overheating.

hi go to my computor and right click on it, click on manage, services and applications, click on services, click on remote procedure call, the recovary tab and then set all the 3 boxes to ' restart the service'
    this shud stop it, if it doesn't theres another way
    its the sasser virus btw

ReputationRep:
    Just been into the BIOS:

if the cpu is at 53 in the bios, and the heatsink isnt hot, then there might be a discrepancy. Do you run [email protected] or something like that, or were you doing something cpu-intensive before restarting, because 53 is high for just being in the bios. also, if the hs doesnt feel hot, maybe it isnt seated right, or the thermal paste is iffy. check that it's seated right.

although, if the thing was overheating, it would probably just hang, and not restart

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the cooling fan is broken or clogged up, that happened to ours a while ago, almost had a little barbecue as a result

ReputationRep:
    The power supply could be on the way out. Mine did that for a while, and then one time it just wouldn't come back on again.

ReputationRep:
    My case is already open I always leave it open for extra ventalisation. The fan may well be clogged up though their is a lot of dust in their and I used the sticky pads that came with the AMD retail pack. I know the paste is supposed to be much more effective than the sticky bads you put below the heatsink and CPU.

I thought the sassa virus restarted windows rather than electricity reset your machine. Also I have a NAT router so it would be quite hard to get any viruses via ports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    The power supply could be on the way out. Mine did that for a while, and then one time it just wouldn't come back on again.
    Well from my breif knowledge of electronics I my first suspician is the power supply. If that over heats it will restart as their will be a slight power surge. The electronic safety shut of system that is supposed to stop it from shutting down may not be working correctly.

It is just a cheapo generic PSU so its quite likely to be this. I should probably replace it anyway as I don't want a power surge to wreck my nice 80gb hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    My case is already open I always leave it open for extra ventalisation. The fan may well be clogged up though their is a lot of dust in their and I used the sticky pads that came with the AMD retail pack. I know the paste is supposed to be much more effective than the sticky bads you put below the heatsink and CPU.

I thought the sassa virus restarted windows rather than electricity reset your machine. Also I have a NAT router so it would be quite hard to get any viruses via ports.
    no sasser makes the pc restart automaticly do u want me give u the sasser removal tool

ReputationRep:
    I've already downloaded the patch from Microsoft but I guess it won't harm to try and remove it. I just assume Sassa would restart windows though rather than the PC.

ReputationRep:
    I've already downloaded the patch from Microsoft but I guess it won't harm to try and remove it. I just assume Sassa would restart windows though rather than the PC.
    do u want my msn add

ReputationRep:
    No it just resets, I am typing the the next literly second I get the POST screen as if I had just pressed the reset switch.

Its done it twice today now. This may not sound much but reliabiity is paramount I have lost about 30 minutes worth of work.
    Maybe its a sign from God to remind you that you shouldn't be spending so much time on a really addictive forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    lol, I run at 67C (which is v hot) and have no reliability problems what so ever. Runs for 5 days straight doing anything you want. I think I should get round to putting some paste on one day, I used those crappy AMD pads.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    lol, I run at 67C (which is v hot) and have no reliability problems what so ever. Runs for 5 days straight doing anything you want. I think I should get round to putting some paste on one day, I used those crappy AMD pads.

Adam
    have you overclocked?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.