The Student Room Group

How to get into ibms approved laboratory?

Hi, I am thinking of doing some top up modules to get accredited by ibms in biomedical science. But I am not sure how to find and get into ibms approved laboratory to make ibms registration portfolio? Does uni help find one of these training centre once I start my top course or is it entirely on me to find one? I am really lost right now. If anyone could help me how all this works?
Thanks.
Reply 1
If your university has a careers service then you could ask them for help with finding a placement, but asking around yourself might work out as well.

On the IBMS website, I think they have a list of approved labs that you could contact. Right now, I'm doing my portfolio placement at Stoke Mandeville hospital and I'd be happy to answer any questions :biggrin:
Hey ,how did you manage to get a placement there ?? Did you just call up ? Also did it require lots of other voluntary work before hand ?
Hello , how did you get a portfolio placement at a hospital . I am a Biomedical science graduate and I never did sandwich and I am currently looking for placements to do ibms . Do you have any advice on where I can look . So far i have applied to some but have not been successful and i dont know why ???
Reply 4
Original post by JadeN92
If your university has a careers service then you could ask them for help with finding a placement, but asking around yourself might work out as well.

On the IBMS website, I think they have a list of approved labs that you could contact. Right now, I'm doing my portfolio placement at Stoke Mandeville hospital and I'd be happy to answer any questions :biggrin:

How did you find the placement?
How did you find the placement?

Haha well it was 8 years ago but I enjoyed it. I ended up going back there to work after graduation!
Reply 6
Original post by JadeN92
Haha well it was 8 years ago but I enjoyed it. I ended up going back there to work after graduation!

Are you currently working as biomedical scientist? As i also want to work in stoke mandeville but have no idea if there are any vacancies
Are you currently working as biomedical scientist? As i also want to work in stoke mandeville but have no idea if there are any vacancies

Yes I am, but I don't work at Stoke Mandeville anymore. Any job vacancies will be on the nhs.jobs website though, good luck!

Quick Reply