The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

worried about living costs @ harrow campus - fine art starting sept 2015

i worked out that after rent in the harrow halls (if i even get in) i'm gonna have about £60 a week to live off.. i don't know if this is going to be enough? i've tried to research but not many places adjust for london costs, and i go to a lot of gigs because music is one of my biggest passions after art, and trains to see my bandmate in woking come to £14 return from waterloo and that's so much of my budget gone already! anyone on the mixed media fine art course have approx spending on materials per week? and where's the cheapest place to get food? oh and are there any places in harrow that are likely to hire someone with green hair and facial piercings haha
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by wolfmurder
i worked out that after rent in the harrow halls (if i even get in) i'm gonna have about £60 a week to live off.. i don't know if this is going to be enough? i've tried to research but not many places adjust for london costs, and i go to a lot of gigs because music is one of my biggest passions after art, and trains to see my bandmate in woking come to £14 return from waterloo and that's so much of my budget gone already! anyone on the mixed media fine art course have approx spending on materials per week? and where's the cheapest place to get food? oh and are there any places in harrow that are likely to hire someone with green hair and facial piercings haha

Hi there!

I totally understand your concerns - it's not just students who have to budget carefully in London! But £60 a week is doable if you plan carefully, especially if you're planning to work as well.

I'm sure you'll get some replies about cheap places to eat around Harrow but I'd recommend registering with Student Beans and getting an NUS card (which you'll find out about from the union once you get here) to make sure you get discounts wherever you can!

In terms of getting about, once in London you can get a student Oyster card from Transport for London. This means cheap tube and bus fairs. From Harrow you're only a few stops away from Central London which is great news for gigs. Gigs are where most of my money goes too! You do have to be careful about venues as prices for tickets can be higher in London - I'd look for independent venues rather than the larger brand names if you can. There are loads of great little pubs that put gigs on cheap. I use www.last.fm to keep up to date with gigs near me, maybe take a look there to get an idea at ticket prices?

In terms of having green hair and piercings - you'll be in good company at our Harrow campus :smile: If you're looking for part-time work we can help. One of the great things about London is the way so many different types of people come together - and there will be lots of places where green hair and piercings might even work in your favour! Trying to get part time work at a gig venue might mean cheaper tickets too . . .

I'll stop rambling on but let me know if you'd like any other info!

Rosie :smile:
Original post by wolfmurder

Go to Harrow Town Centre, eat at Subway. Fried chicken shops like RFC. There's also a pub that does student nights.
And the Grasshopper Tattoo Studio :tongue:
But srsly, noone's that uptight, Maccy D's, Maplin, pretty much every pub ever etc etc should be okay to hire you, provided you're qualified for the job.
Reply 4
I grew up in Harrow!

For cheap food get the metropolitan line from Harrow to Pinner, there's a Lidl store there & cook. I can feed a family of 4 fresh home made meals (no convenience foods) for a week for under £70. For one person it should be easy to eat for £25 or under a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending