The Student Room Group

Economics or Business At A-Level?

Have absolutely no idea which one to take! I'm hoping to study Business Management or Marketing in the future and to study either at a reputable university. Which one is A) more enjoyable B) Preferred by Universities C) Harder?

Also I've been put off both a bit ,but I know I have to take one, you see the Business teacher at my school is really weird and quite 'touchy feely' which makes me uncomfortable (she also tells loads of ****ty jokes) and you have to do young enterprise which we did in year 10 and I hated it,but the economics teacher is really good (from what I've heard) it's just I think I might be the only girl (I know I'm so petty it's unreal) in the class with the 'sports crew' (you know the cocky smart boys who think they're top) in terms of grades I'm decent at maths (sufficient for a level). Which should I take and has anyone been in a class where they were the only girl of just without friends in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by giorgialouise
Have absolutely no idea which one to take! I'm hoping to study Business Management or Marketing in the future and to study either at a reputable university. Which one is A) more enjoyable B) Preferred by Universities C) Harder?

Also I've been put off both a bit ,but I know I have to take one, you see the Business teacher at my school is really weird and quite 'touchy feely' which makes me uncomfortable (she also tells loads of ****ty jokes) and you have to do young enterprise which we did in year 10 and I hated it,but the economics teacher is really good (from what I've heard) it's just I think I might be the only girl (I know I'm so petty it's unreal) in the class with the 'sports crew' (you know the cocky smart boys who think they're top) in terms of grades I'm decent at maths (sufficient for a level). Which should I take and has anyone been in a class where they were the only girl of just without friends in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya,
Economics is definitely more respected by universities but it is also harder. I do business studies at GCSE and it is a much lower standard than for some of my friends who do economics however I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine and end up better off.

In the science class there is 25 boys and 5 girls which obviously isn't as bad as being the only girl but it can be a challenge- I know the type of boys you're talking about as well! I either just don't let them bother me and just get on with it myself (quietly competitive) or I really make an effort to get to know them :smile:
Original post by giorgialouise

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did business studies at GcSe and economics at a level, and got an A* in both.
business is definitely taken by people both at gcse and a level as a doss subject so the ability range is huge. Also, it's very much regarded my universities as a 'soft' subject.
I found economics to be more enjoyable because it was actually challenging. And if I'm honest, out of every single subject I've studied and 14 years in education, I learnt more about the world in econimics than I did in any other subject.

economics isn't that difficult once you get your head round it. So I'd say that economics wins on both A B and C (it's definitely harder than business) business studies is more case studies and team management whilst economics is really world business and graphs.
In my economics class I was the only girl. Sure it's annoying but you're there to work. Just think, in a couple of years time I won't have to speak to any of these people again, I'll be at uni so who cares what they think. Everybody's busy getting their head down at uni anyway.
hope this helped
Choose Economics. It is more respected by universities than Business Studies. Economics is also more interesting than Business Studies. I heard stories that Business Studies is dead boring and the subject is pretty much useless.

Quick Reply

Latest