The Student Room Group

Training for a 10k in 10 weeks

So, I've signed up for a 10K in 10 weeks time and it's been a long time since I've done any running at all. I'm 24 and I haven't done much since I was back at school. I've just managed 5k in 45 minutes on the treadmill. Does anyone have any advice for me in reaching my goal of running 10k in May, and I'd obviously like to work on doing it in a decent time if possible. Cheers.
Original post by americandragon
So, I've signed up for a 10K in 10 weeks time and it's been a long time since I've done any running at all. I'm 24 and I haven't done much since I was back at school. I've just managed 5k in 45 minutes on the treadmill. Does anyone have any advice for me in reaching my goal of running 10k in May, and I'd obviously like to work on doing it in a decent time if possible. Cheers.

Start jogging! I've been jogging for a few weeks now and my best 5K time has been 26 mins! It just seems to get better and better every time I run. 45 mins on a treadmill is honestly worrying though lol
Original post by Incubator
Start jogging! I've been jogging for a few weeks now and my best 5K time has been 26 mins! It just seems to get better and better every time I run. 45 mins on a treadmill is honestly worrying though lol

Cheers. Like I say, this is the first of any exercise that I've done in years. My body doesn't feel exhausted which surprised me. I expect I will have to hammer it if I want to make a decent time but I'm surprised I even managed over 5k irrespective of the time it took!

As mentioned above 45mins for a 5k is quite slow, so it may be best to start with a beginner plan like this one: http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-10km/

This is quite light and should be able to introduce you back into exercise without any injury problems. If you find it too easy you can always add in extra days. A good time to aim for for a first 10k would be about an hour, so you do have time to achieve this!
Cheers. Like I say, this is the first of any exercise that I've done in years. My body doesn't feel exhausted which surprised me. I expect I will have to hammer it if I want to make a decent time but I'm surprised I even managed over 5k irrespective of the time it took!

A 45 minute 5K is a walk. Good that this didn't make you tired, but don't expect to be smashing a good 10K time in 10 weeks. Your connective tissues simply won't adapt that fast. Avoid injury above all else.
Reply 5
Some good advice already posted

I can't tell you what your goals should be, but for me in your position, I would focus on completing the 10K at a decent pace, don't worry about times, this is your first one (I assume)

I'd say just get out jogging but make sure you do plenty of dynamic stretching before a run, and static stretching afterwards to avoid any injury. Eat sensibly and get plenty of sleep.

Good luck and I'd like to hear how you do!
Reply 6
You could download the 0 to 10k app on your phone. It gets you to run for a few minutes and then walk for a few minutes on rotation, reducing the time spent walking over time until you can run the whole thing. The program is 14 weeks long, but if you can run 5k already, you could skip a few weeks
Also leave a few days before the event for resting and eat well, and you should do fine :wink:
If you manage the 5k distance already, try the bridge to 10k program.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest