The Student Room Group

Clarification of what transgender is

Ok quick q: would someone be transgender if they identify as a gender they weren't assigned at birth (including A and non-binary genders) or a gender within the binary that opposes their sex, or are both definitions valid?
I think it depends more on whether they consider themselves transgender. So for example, if they were born male and underwent becoming female physically but identified as gender fluid, they're still transgender.
Original post by SpacePunk
Ok quick q: would someone be transgender if they identify as a gender they weren't assigned at birth (including A and non-binary genders) or a gender within the binary that opposes their sex, or are both definitions valid?

Both definitions are valid. Transgender just means they are a gender different to that assigned at birth. That includes binary and nonbinary people.
As a trans woman (mtf) being trans meant the following for me: deep discomfort with the primary sex characteristics I was born with, since a very early age (3-4) and during puberty major distress with the secondary sex characteristics that developed.
Feeling of belonging to the opposite sex than the one I was born in, since a very early age.
Feelings intensified as I grew older until there ultimately was no other option left than medical transition to cope with the distress over my gender incongruence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending