The Student Room Group

No A levels -Will this effect my progression onto master/Phd courses?

So I'm 26 and in my second year of uni.

I was bullied significantly in school and at 13 developed severe social anxiety and depression as a result. Long story cut very short - was pulled from school at 14 because my mother was worried for my safety. Started process to get home-schooling but by the time it got sorted I was almost 16, very mentally unwell and it was decided I should focus on my health and not return to education until I was better.

This means I didn't get my GCSEs/BTEC First Diploma until I was 19. I then went on to a Level 3 (A level equivalent) legal secretary course which I never completed and never gained qualifications from. However during this time there I was told I might be able to go to university as a mature student so I applied to a few and got accepted at Edge Hill.

After a rough start (as I was still very unwell at the time) in uni, I failed my first year, intercalated and returned (on a different course) to uni as a first year student again.

I'm now doing MUCH better - I'm loving my course, my mental health has massively improved and I'm averaging a 2:1 (66%) so far which I'm aiming to boost to a 1st by graduation.

I really want to go on to do a masters course after I graduate next year, but I'm not sure if my lack of A levels, combined with my difficult start in uni will prevent it.

How would I best go about increasing my chances of being accepted on a post-grad course. Should I discuss the difficulties I had to explain my lack of A levels, or do I not need to mention them?

Any advice appreciated.
Original post by Rae18

I was bullied significantly in school and at 13 developed severe social anxiety and depression as a result. Long story cut very short - was pulled from school at 14 because my mother was worried for my safety. Started process to get home-schooling but by the time it got sorted I was almost 16, very mentally unwell and it was decided I should focus on my health and not return to education until I was better.

This means I didn't get my GCSEs/BTEC First Diploma until I was 19. I then went on to a Level 3 (A level equivalent) legal secretary course which I never completed and never gained qualifications from. However during this time there I was told I might be able to go to university as a mature student so I applied to a few and got accepted at Edge Hill.

After a rough start (as I was still very unwell at the time) in uni, I failed my first year, intercalated and returned (on a different course) to uni as a first year student again.

I'm now doing MUCH better - I'm loving my course, my mental health has massively improved and I'm averaging a 2:1 (66%) so far which I'm aiming to boost to a 1st by graduation.

I really want to go on to do a masters course after I graduate next year, but I'm not sure if my lack of A levels, combined with my difficult start in uni will prevent it.

How would I best go about increasing my chances of being accepted on a post-grad course. Should I discuss the difficulties I had to explain my lack of A levels, or do I not need to mention them?

Any advice appreciated.

Generally A-Levels won't be taken into account, its just having the appropriate predicted/actual degree which matters. Do be aware of how limited funding is though.
If you've got this far (which you should be proud of) then naturally I don't think your A-levels would be considered that important. Especially if you do end up getting a 1st in your degree.
As far as I am aware, they do not ask for them.
Original post by Rae18

Any advice appreciated.

I haven't a clue so I won't be able to help... Sorry :/
But I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're feeling better now and was able to get things back on track. It's actually very impressive :smile:
Reply 5
Repped you OP because you're an inspiration.

Don't worry about A-Levels. Postgrad will depend on your current degree.

Well done, and good luck for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending