The Student Room Group

TOP 5 most prestigious degrees' ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rita_177
People who do CS at Imperial are going to be walking into jobs..that’s a fact.

10% of them don't. That's a fact that's authenticated by HMRC, DWP, OfS and ONS.

Those articles are referencing the exact same dataset that I linked to above :facepalm: (actually on checking they don't they refer to self declared earnings in the survey of graduates 6 months after graduating - the HMRC data shows the median earnings as £39,400 in the tax year following graduation so either a whole bunch of Imperial grads get a pay cut after 8 months or some of them are bumping up their salary in the survey)

The ones that are counting the earnings of 40/70 graduates (and where 6% of graduates are not in work or study and are claiming out of work benefits).

Just because 57% of graduates are earning good wages doesn't really make any difference to the 6% of graduates on JSA/universal credit 5 years after graduating from Imperial's Computing degrees.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Those articles are referencing the exact same dataset that I linked to above :facepalm: (actually on checking they don't they refer to self declared earnings in the survey of graduates 6 months after graduating - the HMRC data shows the median earnings as £39,400 in the tax year following graduation so either a whole bunch of Imperial grads get a pay cut after 8 months or some of them are bumping up their salary in the survey)

The ones that are counting the earnings of 40/70 graduates (and where 6% of graduates are not in work or study and are claiming out of work benefits).

Just because 57% of graduates are earning good wages doesn't really make any difference to the 6% of graduates on JSA/universal credit 5 years after graduating from Imperial's Computing degrees.

You are mislead..CS from imperial is a degree that can get you a job anywhere worldwide..I can’t say the same for most degrees. Do yourself a favor and go on indeed and look at all the job postings in the major cities and type in machine learning, data scientist, software engineering etc. and see how many postings come up. Now do the same with your degree and let me know what you get before your job gets automated by AI
You are mislead..CS from imperial is a degree that can get you a job anywhere worldwide..I can’t say the same for most degrees. Do yourself a favor and go on indeed and look at all the job postings in the major cities and type in machine learning, data scientist, software engineering etc. and see how many postings come up. Now do the same with your degree and let me know what you get before your job gets automated by AI

So why are 6% of Computing (not Imperial doesn't offer a CS degree) grads from Imperial on JSA/Universal Credit 5 years after graduating?

My job is one of the lowest risk of automation :wink: https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc599/beeswarm/index.html much safer than the IT roles
Original post by PQ
So why are 6% of Computing (not Imperial doesn't offer a CS degree) grads from Imperial on JSA/Universal Credit 5 years after graduating?

My job is one of the lowest risk of automation :wink: https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc599/beeswarm/index.html much safer than the IT roles

Don’t be jealous mate and IT is not the same as being a software engineer mate :wink:
Don’t be jealous mate and IT is not the same as being a software engineer mate :wink:

a) I'm not your mate
b) I'm not jealous I'm just trying to understand how you can reconcile 6% of graduates on the dole with "can walk into any job"
c) yes it is in terms of Standard Occupational Coding as used by the ONS (27% of jobs at risk of automation - you'd be safer becoming a vicar)
Agreed that maths is tougher than cs but cs is probably close to 2nd. The maths in CS can get really tough depending on the Uni you go to:
http://www.ai.mit.edu/courses/6.867-f04/hw3/hw3_solutions.pdf
You’d be surprised by how many Americans who are insanely smart end up going into CS for the jobs instead of maths. I know at my Uni the CS kids are actually smarter and the major is way more impacted than maths.

I'm not sure that's a good comparison

That's a US uni - they have a weird way of doing modules so they seem to have more flexibility. We don't know what the major:minor is of the people who take this module.

It's MIT. We're not talking about unis, we're talking about courses. I would hope that MIT students would know enough maths for ML.

Though frankly I find it strange that ML is part of the school of computer science, that problem set seemed largely linear algebra, and some other stuff I didn't really read into. I'd consider it a mathematical science.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
I'm not sure that's a good comparison

That's a US uni - they have a weird way of doing modules so they seem to have more flexibility. We don't know what the major:minor is of the people who take this module.

It's MIT. We're not talking about unis, we're talking about courses. I would hope that MIT students would know enough maths for ML.

Though frankly I find it strange that ML is part of the school of computer science, that problem set seemed largely linear algebra, and some other stuff I didn't really read into. I'd consider it a mathematical science.

ML is part of computer science :wink:
Dude every Uni that teaches ML means you have to know maths. That’s under computer science aka a mathematical science. Also at least a CS degree is actually applicable. No one pays you 40 quid an hour to write mathematical proofs :wink: however a coder can get paid that kind of money.
(edited 4 years ago)
Let me guess you majored in psychology.
Dude every Uni that teaches ML means you have to know maths. That’s under computer science aka a mathematical science. Also at least a CS degree is actually applicable. No one pays you 40 quid an hour to write mathematical proofs :wink: however a coder can get paid that kind of money.

Not really, tbh the only degree that is applicable to what you will be doing in life is Medicine, all the other degrees are just a waste. Coding can be self-taught, there is absolutely no need for a degree and wasting thousands of pounds in it.
1.Dentist
2.Math
3.Computer Science
4.Mechanical Engineering
5.Electronic Engineering
1. Classics
2. PPE
3. Law/history

I feel like no one in this thread knows what "prestigious" means. Seriously, even if you have the most difficult STEM degree out there, you still end up working under someone with a humanities degree. Just look at Britain's past PMs and you'll see that Thatcher (Oh, Thatcher!) was the only one with a STEM degree, and she went on to study law anyway.

The people who study classics are usually rich private school toffs who had the opportunity to study Greek or Latin or whatever pre-uni. That's what's prestigious. If you want to be rich and appear scientifically smart, study STEM, but if you want to take the risk of joining the upperclass and be even richer, go run the country.

Also major respect for people to study languages because I genuinely believe that being fluent in two or more languages (especially Russian, Chinese or Arabic) does something to your brain. Like it's just incomparable with other academics. You kind of open a third eye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending